one for the whisky drinkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one for the whisky drinkers

I have just finished this rather fine quaich for a special order from a customer in Sweden.

It may look just like the normal quaich on my website until you see it alongside the one I use myself. It is a big brother quaich.

Although I have been making quaiches for a couple of years now I only really started to understand them more recently.

The quaich is a special vessel for drinking whisky but what is interesting is that it is a communal drinking vessel designed to be passed around in a sociable manner. This sort of communal drinking was the norm from Viking times up to the 19th century and is well recorded in Pepys who wrote of sharing a drink from a wooden mazer to Thomas Hardy who often has folk sharing a vessel of ale in the pub. It still continues in various livery companies and Oxbridge colleges at special dinners. I wonder when and why we started to drink from individual vessels, it changes the experience completely, it's impossible to imagine a group of friends sitting smoking individual joints, how antisocial it would seem.

The reason I had never really understood this communal drinking aspect of quaiches was that I have never really been a whisky drinker, until that is we were visited by our German carpenter friends last year. On completion of our timber frame building there is a traditional ceremony involving the drinking of spirits. It seemed right that it should be a British spirit and the time right to try out my quaiches. We had some of the most wonderful evenings with the Germans and then with a wider gathering of woodworking friends in Wales sitting round in a warm cottage in front of a fire passing round a small quaich of whiskey, sharing stories and song. It felt so right, part of such a long tradition and at last I understood the quaich.

My next task is to understand whisky which may take a little longer but I am looking forward to the research.
    http://www.robin-wood.co.uk

They are fantastic!!!
    I am not a whiskey drinker sadly.

Thanks for the info about the quaich, I am getting very educated on this forum

Great work

I am sure you will find someone to help out with your whisky research

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

These are made so beautifully, your very talented!

Thanks for the information, I love learning new things and I love interesting items especially when there is a story behind them, cant even stand the smell of whisky though ever mind the taste.
      Sarah

Comment

its lovely, ive never heard of them before!
        www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

Beautiful work and a very informative post... thank you for sharing

Comment

Another cracking piece of work there - more like my size as well
            It has to be a good thing if it will discourage people from throwing ice and coke in their whiskey
            Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistant one.
            - A. Einstein

Hand crafted Driftwood gifts and homewares from North Devon
            www.whitepebblebay.co.uk

Comment

These look really good Robin. I've seen a few which were turned on an electric lathe and they somehow looked a bit too sophisticated. How much of yours are turned and how much carved? Also what is the rim made of?

pete
              "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
              Facebook

Website

Comment

Lovely work, Robin!

And a great tradition, too. It's reminiscent of pagan events - you'll often find folks (especially those that follow a heathen path) wandering round with goblets or drinking horns, sharing home made and unusual meads and other beverages quite freely.
                I rescued and fitted out a drinking horn for myself, though I've never made mead and have to make do with shop-bought mead, brought from my Norfolk home. Quite safe to drink communally, as the alcohol does a fine job of killing anythng nasty.
                And, of course, many things begin or end with a ritual of sharing food and drink, don't they...
                Cheers,
                Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Well you learn something new everyday, how interesting I had never heard of them.

Fab workmanship there you are very talented and very patient!

Look forward to seeing more.

Kim xx
                  www.kimmsmith.etsy.com

www.facebook.com/kimsmithcharmbracelets

Comment

Great work, and really nice to hear about the background too.

Si.
                    Wood Tattoos
                    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                    Facebook
                    Flickr
                    Twitter

Comment

They are really nice! I'm not a whiskey drinker but I would love to have one at home to liven up some parties!

Thanks for the background too, i love to read the history of crafts.
                      Some of my creations:
                      http://learningspirit.co.uk

Comment

My next task is to understand whisky which may take a little longer but I am looking forward to the research
                        Ah - you need Jim Murray's Whisky Bible (solves part of my Jones' Chrissy prezzie problem)
                        ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                        website
                        blog

Comment

Working...
                        X