Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toy Theatre - tools advice.

Hi,
    Very much a beginner to crafts and am intending to build a toy theatre out of balsa or other thin wood. I'm not sure what tools, especially saws, to buy. I imagine a fret saw and a coping saw would be useful - but are there different types of of saw teeth that I should look out for - I imagine the finer the better. Also I've been looking at Japanese very fine toothed (razor) saws - would they be a useful buy?
    As I shall be cutting out shapes in the wood I imagine a jigsaw would be useful, but are there jigsaw type saws that would be a little gentle than the average Screwfix type jigsaws.
    Any advice at all regarding tools would be very welcome!
    Thanks
    B

I don't think that you will need power tools for Balsa wood. Have a look at model making suppliers such as Hobbies at Ravingham, Norfolk. they have saws and knives that will cut Balsa with ease. Not that Balsa is hard to cut anyway.

Comment

My inclination would be to use wood like sycamore such is used for musical instruments and would be much stronger and take a finer cut and would be better for painting. A fret saw would be able to cut intricate shapes but could use a coping saw or 2 way Japanese saw. For cutting thin strps of wood such as sycamore or even pine a sawmill may cut and plane them to size or even a local carpenter or joiner and they are likely to have a planer and bandsaw. Im sure you could make a toy theatre out of cardboard as a lot of cardboard is quite fine and strong and is often used for model making.

Comment

With balsa a Japanese fine tootherd saw and some razor blades will get you far. Beyond that a jigsaw of any kind also be very handy for difficult cuts on thicker pieces. Aside from that maybe a chisel set.

Comment

Working...
        X