Using salvaged timber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using salvaged timber

Do any of you use salvaged timber. I rescued an old pine bed frame and have made wooden balls, sanding blocks, wedges and will probably make some signs and a few other things out of it. Old planks can plane up nicely and they will be made from pine. I used to live near an auction house and there would be furniture you could get for next to nothing which would have a lot of oak or beech in it and you could it into no end of small items. Then there is old gate posts, oak beams etc a woodturners favourite for turning into lamps or candle sticks.
    There is the waste that councils and tree surgeons put through chipping machines or going for firewood. Much of it is very useful and can be salvaged and has a much higher value than ending up as firewood or chippings.
    I'm off wood salvaging, have a nice day

I wish I had your skills! I often see good pieces of wood in skips but wouldn't know where to start creating anything out of it. I have the ideas but not the patience to learn.
    Happywrap - Reusable Fabric Gift Wrap

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/happywrap

Comment

A lot of the wood I turn is either salvaged or foraged. If it is old furniture you need to be careful when stripping it as it can often have dodgy chemicals in the finishes. One advantage is that you can get decent old pine, parana pine and proper mahogany all of which are either scarce or rare nowadays.

Pete
      "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
      Facebook

Website

Comment

I have some legs off of an old snooker table. They are Brazilian Mahogany which under the CITIES agreement is no longer logged or imported into this country. It is a gorgeous reddish orange and is lovely to turn and takes a polish really well.
        Twitter:johnbaitken
        Facebook:John Boyne-Aitken

Comment

Never had any that size John but have had pieces from old tables. Love the smell as you turn it but it makes me sneeze.

Pete
          "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
          Facebook

Website

Comment

taken to extremes but a mate of mine has about 9 ton of reclaimed timber in his back yard. OK he is a restoration carpenter by trade and makes our boxes for the medieval period. Modern timber is not cut wide enough for our needs
            Casting pewter..in a field near you.

Comment

At the Mens Shed where I attend, probably 80% of the wood we use is repurposed to make something else, and we get a lot of wooden items such as beds/headboards, pine etc that is not suitable or wanted by the recycling centre, and we just collect it , strip down if appropriate and re-use.

PJM

Comment

I hunt skips on roads, I've had quartersawn oak table tops and legs, pine dresser and drawers, and I found some old broken up walnut book shelf's from a skip outside an old men's fitters which was being ripped out.
                As a note, if you cant find a use for it take it anyway, plane and thickness it into planks or glue and clamp it into useful size chunks, then flog it on eBay or exchange it for something you want.
                Last edited by Windfall; 01-01-2019, 11:07 PM.

Comment

If you take from skips you have to ask the owners permission or it's theft. They are often grateful to have something removed to make space for more 'rubbish' but not always.

Mo.XX
                  Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                  Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                  www.bodrighy.co.uk
                  https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

As Mo says you need to ask first., Same applies even to wood ypu see by the side of the road or on land anywhere. KIt all belongs to someone and tempting though it is you can be prosecuted if you just help yourself,

Pete
                    Facebook

Website

Comment

what makes me sad is looking into the skips at the recycling center and all the good timber that's thrown away and will be chipped and pulped and there's nothing you can do about it. I saw some lovely light oak drawers sitting on top of the skip pile once and I asked if I could take them .. Mr Jobsworth told me it was now the property of the council and I couldn't have it. This is why I call bull**** to local authority recycling.

Comment

My user name is taken from a project that centred around salvaged timber. I wanted to make the sides for an acoustic guitar out of small 'planks' of wood to fit together to give an effect similar to the decking of a ship. By coincidence I came across some off cuts of Teak that were salvaged from the SS Pegu - a merchant ship sunk on 8th July 1917 by a German U-Boat. The Teak had been salvaged to repair the decking of the Cutty Sark so it seemed more than appropriate for the job. I completed the guitar on the 8th July, 2017 - 100 years since the original sinking. All other parts of the guitar were also from reclaimed or rescued materials.

Comment

Completely off-topic, but Pegu - I've just had a look at some of your galleries and you've made some amazing things - what a talent, and I love your approach to making. Very impressed!
                          george
                          www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                          www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                          www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Originally posted by mizgeorge View Post
                            Completely off-topic, but Pegu - I've just had a look at some of your galleries and you've made some amazing things - what a talent, and I love your approach to making. Very impressed!
                            Thanks George, Not everything goes to plan but experience is the best teacher.

Back on the subject of salvaged timber, someone recently gave me some blocks of mahogany which are about 75mm square x 300mm long. At first I thought they would be great for turning but on closer inspection I found them to be full of nails. I'll endeavour to get the nails out, then drill holes through where the nails were and fill with dowels of a contrasting wood - should give some interesting patterns when turned.

Fred.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegu 17 View Post
                              Thanks George, Not everything goes to plan but experience is the best teacher.

Back on the subject of salvaged timber, someone recently gave me some blocks of mahogany which are about 75mm square x 300mm long. At first I thought they would be great for turning but on closer inspection I found them to be full of nails. I'll endeavour to get the nails out, then drill holes through where the nails were and fill with dowels of a contrasting wood - should give some interesting patterns when turned.

Fred.
                              The Cluedo board is fantastic, be a shame to play on it 👍🏻

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                              X