Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Paint to Use??

Hi

I have just discovered this forum and have spent the past 2 hours (!!) browsing! Today I made my first ever purchase of Mdf blanks with the view to decorating/painting them - door signs, funny plaques and the like. The question is - what is the best type of paint to use on them - and do I need to use a special sealer? I've seen some decorated with glittery paint -is this a special type of paint also? Also for the writing on the plaque - do I use paint or is there a special type of pen which I should use. Sorry for so many questions - Any tips/advice/websites/magazine to buy would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently signed of work sick - on crutches so housebound so looking for a hobby to keep me occupied over the coming weeks!
    Thanks in advance!!

to the forum! as you've already noticed,
    it can be a bit addictive .

sorry, can't help with your painting question, but woud like to know the answer myself, as was thinking of doing a wood project very soon!

Comment

Erm, I dont know the answer to your Qs either Toddy but from me too until a skilled person comes along!

shaz x
      Keepsake Kollections
      & Rossendale Ramblings!
      http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Originally posted by toddy2810 View Post
        Hi

I have just discovered this forum and have spent the past 2 hours (!!) browsing! Today I made my first ever purchase of Mdf blanks with the view to decorating/painting them - door signs, funny plaques and the like. The question is - what is the best type of paint to use on them - and do I need to use a special sealer? I've seen some decorated with glittery paint -is this a special type of paint also? Also for the writing on the plaque - do I use paint or is there a special type of pen which I should use. Sorry for so many questions - Any tips/advice/websites/magazine to buy would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently signed of work sick - on crutches so housebound so looking for a hobby to keep me occupied over the coming weeks!
        Thanks in advance!!
        Hi!

I dont know the best type of paint to use on them. But i'm going to tell you to use acrylics! lol. ok so here goes, sorry if its not at all coherent!

You will need to prime the mdf, I would use an acrylic gesso. Gesso has a slight 'tooth' in it, which incidently makes it ideal for pearlescent and iridescent paints.
        some advice from someone else!

I like to prime the reverse first usually; I scoop out a quantity of 'gesso' from the container and spread it thickly over the textured side of the board (I use a painting knife for this but an old credit card or putty knife works fine). When this has had a chance to dry, maybe 20-30 minutes, I apply the first coat to the front and all edges with a bristle or sponge brush. It is a myth that you need to sand between applications of acrylic primer to ensure the next coat adheres properly, this is merely an aid to achieving a smooth finish.

Apply subsequent coats of 'gesso' at right angles to the first, to help the surface stay flatter (brushmarks in the same direction tend to build up). I recommend at least three coats but you can use six or more; wet-sand lightly between them if you like. When I want a very smooth and flat surface for a detailed painting I use six or seven light coats (thinning the primer with water to about the consistency of light cream) and wet-sand only at the end. When you sand using wet 'n' dry sandpaper there is no dust generated and the slurry lubricates the paper, producing a much finer and more consistent finish than normal sandpaper

Ok so thats your priming....I think I forgot to mention that crafting is an expensive hobby...lol

You can get glitter acrylics, although i've never used them before and dont know too much about the glittery paint side of life.

Instead of paint pens you can make your own...much cheaper! For example a squeezy pot with a think nozzle, or a piping bag. These can be used for adding lettering, which is much easier sometime (if your messy like me) than trying to write words with a brush..trial and error!

I would seal it after also...

hope this helps a little

s.x

ooh have fun!
        Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

also, when u r done, make sure you spray with a varnish.... it can either be matte or glossy, depends on your taste. that way, it will last longer and also look more completed. and of course,
          Unique Handmade Gifts

Comment

I just use normal emulsion on mine because I like the finish, farrow and ball or laura ashley paints are fab and gorgeous colours, I don't like a glossy finish and it is also then hard to write on. If I am using mdf I just normally give it two coats and it is ine. If it is something which needs protection then I will give a coat of clear varnish.
            Jo x

For handcrafted wooden gifts and decorations please visit http://www.sommerwood.co.uk

Comment

its depending on what kinda finish you want.I do my painted work shabby. I use wall paint to prime and the finish paint. I varnish with marine varnish ( only becouse some of my work needs to be waterproof. I am always begging everyones leftover paint. lol..........Here is what I do
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/2332897...7603829428775/

I don't have any pics of my signs on yet but I use paint pins for my wording
              http://www.cultpens.com/cgi-bin/ss00...R=-1&TB=A&SHOP=

Hope that helps you
              Shabby Neesey

Comment

Hi
                Thanks for all of the replies! I cant wait to get started!! Might take a trip to b&q for some little paint pots to try. Jo - what type of pens do you use for writing on your plaques - had a look at your website, they are fab!
                Neesey - so are yours !! I wasnt able to open the second link though.

Comment

we will try again Toddy
                  http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/edd...t_Markers.html

I always use tester pots from B&Q........all the colors that are in style now, and cheap lol
                  Shabby Neesey

Comment

Great, thanks

Comment

Yep, I agree that the emulsion tester pots are great for trying out new ideas and colours. They are often on sale too as new ranges come through.

We also use Milk paint on our shaker peg racks. It is very much like emulsion but much more chalky. It is totally organic (it's made from milk!) and the finish is absolutely lovely. Having tried all sorts, emulsions, glosses, acrylics milk paint tops them all. The only downside is that it is quite expensive in the UK, but it does go quite far. It comes in powder form and you just mix what you need with water. We got ours from a supplier in America as we needed quite a bit and even with postage and import duty it was cheaper than in the UK.

One last thing, if you are sanding your MDF shapes please do where a mask at all times, preferably one suitable for MDF work (these are more expensive but needed). MDF fibres are microscopically small and shaped like hooks, once they get in your lungs they hook in and stay there - very very dangerous indeed.

Good luck with your crafting.

Steve
                      Last edited by kipper workshops; 11-03-2008, 04:58 PM.
                      Handmade woodcrafts - relaunching soon.
                      www.kipperworkshops.com[COLOR=Blue]
                      Best range of wooden craft shapes and cutouts.[SIZE=2]

Comment

It seams all has been said here. Prime, paint and seal. But also to echo....when sanding MDF, USE A MASK!
                        Sue
                        www.susiedolls.com
                        www.susie1205.blogspot.com

Comment

wood painting

Hayim new to this posting thing, so excuse spelling mistakes etc..
                          I make wooden sculptures that i then paint, i have found acrylic artist paint is the best, to prime use the gesso as already mentioned by another helpful person. oh if you use house hold paints they last an average of 5 years then crack or peel,mainly due to central heating.
                          varnishing is good to stop scratched surfaces but not nessasary with acrylics.
                          Pens the best are called Posca, there used for outdoor/indoor sign writing, but are liquid chalk, they last 10years but fade after that, oh and their smoke resistant. The nibs wear out quickly if used on a rough surface. most art shops carry them.
                          Hope thats useful.

Comment

I use acrylic paints on my wood projects. Good luck with it!
                            Clairexx
                            http://clairebsd.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X