Thick wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thick wood?

I am looking for thick wood between 4 and 5 inches thick and approx A4 size.
    Does anyone have any idea where I can get any from??

Any wood from 3" up in thickness is very expensive. Depending on what you want it for you would be better getting some thinner pieces and laminating./

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

Like Pete said,wood that size is expensive. Try contacting a tree surgeon or visit a sawmill if it has to be solid.And bear in mind wood that thick is not easy to dry without it splitting.Look at laminating it up or veneering MDF.
      Twitter:johnbaitken
      Facebook:John Boyne-Aitken

Comment

Hi Becky. I can let you have details of my supplier who will supply hardwood that thick and it will be well seasoned and ready to go/ If you send me a PM I will send you the details.

Comment

Now a day’s cost of wood became very high you are asking 4” to 5” wood. I hope it doesn’t have very expensive.
          Link removed, non craft related

Comment

best bet would be to find a local timber yard or joinery business and ask for offcuts. We got some HUGE bits of oak recently for free, and some other large sections for only a few quid
            https://www.facebook.com/BandKcreative

Comment

or... befriend a gardener/tree surger/landscaper, and get some logs from them and find someone to rip them down for you (unless you have a facilities to rip them yourself of course) though this route may mean drying the logs yourself whcih can take a long time - though if they are ripped into planks it will be quicker
              https://www.facebook.com/BandKcreative

Comment

A lumber mill!

Comment

The size you want is about 1/3rd cubic foot (roughly) and a merchant/mill will charge from say £30 a cu ft (deal etc) to £80 or so for English oak, and most woods aren't even milled that thick. Agree with Shadowlight - any big mill/merchant will have offcuts maybe that size - but try and find a big mill rather than the average timber merchant (search saw mills probably). Another good bargain source is the oak structure suppliers - bound to have one nearby, they sell green oak for buildings. Problem is it is green (unseasoned) though they may have offcuts around that are effectively air-dried. Their offcuts go to firewood and are big lumps - that would be my first place to look I think. I'd just be looking for the dryest piece I could find.

Comment

Working...
                  X