X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boudicca

This is a WIP I have started.

Long story very much shortened.
    Boudicca (Boadicea) was the queen of the Iceni tribe, and led an army against the Romans.
    There is a tale that Boudicca released a Hare to gain portent into the outcome of a coming battle.
    The Hare ran towards the enemy lines and this was seen as a good omen.

Boudicca in her last major battle made inflicted great damage on the Roman forces, but alas the Roman's rallied and decimated Boudicca's army.
    The remnants were hunted down and put to the sword.

One great irony is that the Hare was purported to have been introduce by the Romans. >.<

So my love of Celtic art and Lore, I had to do an image tittled Boudicca at some pint and here it is.
    The background is one I created long before I got into pyrography from an Aiden Mehan design of a Griffin and snake. I have flipped the image so that the snakes head is pointed down as I thought it looked better for this piece. It is from a painting I did of it some years ago, and I had cut a piece out and tiled it for a garphics project I did long ago.

The border will have a leaping hare from a border I created in Inkscape a few months back when thinking about doing a Boudicca work.
    The central image is from part of a stained glass image from Colchester Town Hall.

Lot of work still to do, lots of shading and depth development in the background to work on, but here is the early lining instage.
    Hope you like.

Steve
    Attached Files
    "The Journey Is Everything"

MY Google+ Pyrography Hub

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

Gosh! That looks intricate!
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Aye, just a bit , fun to do and challenging at the same time.

Steve

Comment

A challenge is always fun!! Good luck completing it!
        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Really incredible, beautiful, you must have so much patience! I love hares, I saw one the other day on the beach, my dog tried to chase it but it shot off like a rocket, leaving Molly miles behind!
          "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

Aye fast they are indeed. And thanks, glad you like it.

Comment

Progress so far.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hate to put a damper on but there were never any 'Roman' soldiers in Britain, BODICEA was from a tribe where the FEMALE line inherited. There were a few other all female run tribes too, strangely enough the areas where the female led tribes were have very little 'material culture' that is archaeological remains!!

Comment

Originally posted by glynisrose View Post
                  Hate to put a damper on but there were never any 'Roman' soldiers in Britain, BODICEA was from a tribe where the FEMALE line inherited. There were a few other all female run tribes too, strangely enough the areas where the female led tribes were have very little 'material culture' that is archaeological remains!!
                  According to what I have read, Colchester was a settlementfor discharged Roman soldiers and the site of a Roman temple.

Boudicca had a grudge due to here husband Prasutagus, who had ruled the Iceni tribes, as an ally of the Romans, left his ineheritance to his duaghters and The Roman Emporer. Course this went belly up and the kingdom was annexed. Boudicca was flogged, her duaghters raped. The Roman tax men called in their loans.

Boudicca enraged attacked Colchester.

The Roman Governer at that time, Gaius Seutonius Paulinus was slicing up Anglesey and on hearing of the revolt headed back to London.

70,000 - 80,000 Romans and Britons were kiled in three Cities. Nero was not happy as one can imagine and almost pulled out, but in the end Seutonius brought back Roman control by defeating the Britons in the battle of Watling Street. London was abandoned prior to this by the Romans yet Boudicca did continue to attack and destroy it (Londinium).

Most writings it is stated come not from the tribes as not very much from that era survived, but from the Romans own records.

Boudicca was supposed to have just died, or was killed, nothing concrete there.

My work celtic art subjects tend to be around Celtic Myth, like 'The Lady Made of Flowers below'), so I prefer the Romantic mythic story over the factual one, if there is such a thing with storys getting mashed over many years, and Romes own propaganda as they wrote up history to suit themselves. So no worries, hehe, no damper from me, Ancient history has been chopped and changed many times to suit the powers that were/or be. So probably the truth lies between the two somewhere. I prefer the Romantic stories myself, they make great art.

Steve
                  Attached Files

Comment

Finished a small area so I could work out how I would finish detailing and shading the background.

I am not great with people/faces, so that will be tackled once the bckground is finished, who knows how long that wil take?
                    But it being a stained glass like image then artistic license should get me over that last hurdle in this piece.

Steve
                    Attached Files

Comment

Background now complete. I have tried to create layering, much like a card maker does when creating a 3-D effect.
                      May need further shading and darkening once the centre is finished, hard to tell at this stage.

Couple pics under slightly differemnt lighting, hope you like so far.

Steve
                      Attached Files

Comment

As a woodworker this is fascinating for me to see it develop, and also to hear your thinking behind it.
                        Thank you for taking the time to share this with us(me)
                        John BHT
                        Twitter:johnbaitken
                        Facebook:John Boyne-Aitken

Comment

You're welcome John, glad you are getting something from this WIP. I think it is useful for non pyrograpohers to see what is involved, up to an extent anyhow, in creating pyrographic work. I know quite a few woodworkers, carvers and scrollsawers who have taken it up to add an extra element to their own work, and I am sure any info is useful. On scrollsaw and pyro forums, Work In Progress post are generally useful to help show beginners some insight into what can be done with pyro and a few pictures can tell it better than pages of text sometimes. Though this is not particularily a detailed step by step WIP.

Steve

Comment

I am at the stage of building up the central image, slowly layering in the different tones. Also trying to keep it that stained glass look. Nees further darker layers building over the top of this, but helps to show that just like any other art media, one has to build up the layers of tone and detail, as one does when using colour.

I will also later try and smooth out my heavy pointilist burning that defines the thick lead part of this window portion.

Faces are my weakest skill, still room for me to end up messing up the whole piece. This is why I did the bulk of the work before hand, it forces me to take extreme care. >.<

Steve
                            Attached Files

Comment

Funny how we get wrapped into our creations.

I had done a faint outline of the features and made a start shading very very lightly, building up shade and detail by slow degrees. I think I looked at the reference image three or four times, then just got lost in the work. I shaded what I felt should be there, lined what I felt should be lined, just got lost in the creative process and the initial image was gone from my mind.

I love these to me anyway, magical moments of pure creativity.
                              Turned out okay too.

I got what I wanted, that stained glass look in the face. I think they paint the glass with an acid, not really sure, but the effect is always magical when done in detail. I tried to capture this in the hair and face. I could have gone darker as the initial image does, but would have lost the minds eye image I had in mind. As it turned out for all my anxiety in doing the face, I think it worked. But, being up close it is hard to say. I think it was Jim (someone on another forum), recently said we put our own work under the microscope.

Sometimes we see more flaws than a casual observer will see, sometimes less. It's an investment after all, of time and effort, creative energy hopefully well spent. Anyhow, before I wax too philosophical >.< here is the latest pic.

I also flattened out and darkened the leading, was too textured for the rest of the piece before. i think it looks better now. Now I will go over the whole image and tweak it it fot final posting.

Steve
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X