Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blodeuwedd

I finished my latest piece last week.

It represents Blodeuwedd (Flower Face) the Woman made of Flowers.

Blodeuwedd was created by Gwydion and Math from flowers, in the tale of Math the son of Mathonwy from the White Book of Rhydderch, as a bride for Lleu to ovecome Arianrhod's third curse. She ends up turned into an Owl as punishment for falling in love with a Hunter and conspiring to kill Lleu.

She generally is made of Oak blossom, Broom and Meadowsweet. (though I have used leaves, giving a nod to the actual flowers in the orners of the piece)

The story has been described as echoing the battle between Summer and Winter, the Lords of Light and Dark.

Though Blodeuwedd was turned into an owl, I created the picture representing here transitioning from the Day to the Night, reaching out and looking at an image of the sun carved into the wall divide, as a last farewell to the sun as she passes from one life to the next.

Hope you like.

Steve
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sunlion; 10-02-2013, 03:39 PM.
    "The Journey Is Everything"

MY Google+ Pyrography Hub

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

I like you work. I didn't kniow the story of Boldeuwedd, so it was good to have an insight into it - there are so many tales in the Mabinogi that I know so few of them!
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Thanks Indri, and aye, there is a rich lore associated with the celts. I am using two books as reference, then searching for more info when needed.
      the two books I have are:-

The Ilses of the Many Gods: An A-Z of the Pagan Gods & Goddesses worshiped in Ancient Britain during the First Millenium CE through to the Middle Ages.
      by David Rankine & Sorita D'Este

and

Dictionary of Celtic Myth and Legend by Miranda J. Green.

They are fairly similar books except that the first genarally concentrates on the British Isles.

A search on Blodeuwed probably will bring up a wiki with the full story, as there is a wealth of information out there.

Steve

Comment

I remeber when I was little my favourite book was The Snow Spider which has refernces to Math, Lord of Gwyneth, Gwydion and Gylfaethwy, all from the Mabinogion somewhere, so I had to look them up once the internet was invented, I now can't remember what it was I read about them, but good thing about the internet is that I can go back to it another day.
        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Wow!!! What a fabulous piece of work, and you have obviously been very assiduous in your research.

Linda

Comment

Thanks Linda.

Aye, I like to research these things, it helps a lot in developing the picture, and pulling out an idea that hopefully represents the aspect I am going for of a particular story.

Comment

Great story and a beautiful piece of work, very special.
              "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

Thanks Eyebright, glad you like it.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X