Pens!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pens!

I finally figured out how to post a picture but don't know how to reduce the size so appologies if it appears enormous. These are my latest pens, I am a beginner so they are not perfect by any means. The first two on the right are made with shop bought blanks and the rest are made from hawthorn from our own bit of land.

The slimline pen isn't such a good shape. The others are streamline pens. Do they look ok?
    "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

I think they are lovely

Comment

AWESOME!!! I think they look fabulous!!

Comment

Well done!! They look great.
        James
        www.facebook.com/CraftyCath

Comment

They look pretty good to me. Well done!

Linda

Comment

My OH has one just like them. I wonder it it is one of yours. How can I tell? He did buy it at a fair.
            Carol
            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I think they are great, too.

A lovely idea, for which I can see some potential.
              ~~The old ways are the future~~

Comment

Oh how nice! Do they take a long time to make? Can you buy refills for them? How much do you charge?

Comment

Originally posted by Eyebright View Post
                  I finally figured out how to post a picture but don't know how to reduce the size so apologies if it appears enormous. These are my latest pens, I am a beginner so they are not perfect by any means. The first two on the right are made with shop bought blanks and the rest are made from hawthorn from our own bit of land.

The slimline pen isn't such a good shape. The others are streamline pens. Do they look ok?
                  Mornin' Fiona.

Don't knock it, we where all beginners once. They are not bad for a beginner, but the shape/form won't strain you much. Some advice, be very careful buying 'shop blanks' for small items like pens. Especially if buying a piece of timber to cut up, often once cut to pen size the once beautiful grain/colour is lost because the blank is so small.

Second comment is that I personally don't like slim line pens or similar as you are so restricted with the shape you can make. Also most men don't like a 'slim line' because they are quite awkward to hold comfortably in our spade like hands.

Never used the 'stream line' kits, but looking at them you may be able to work the shape/form a little thicker at the middle where the centre band is. Which will give them a bit more of a nice shape, looks as if you have used the 7mm spacers to make them. If so, the next time allow the wood to stay a little thicker towards the middle, but not thicker than the band.

One thing I do when asked to make some '7mm slim kits' is to chuck the centre band, replace it with a bit of bone/plastic/pewter so as I can make the body shape more like a cigar form, the guys seem to prefer these because they are thicker/easier to hold.

See this link
                  for an example.

None of this is said as negative comments, IMO you have done very well in the short time you've had you lathe.

Good luck for the future, you done good!
                  Last edited by TePe; 06-01-2013, 12:01 PM. Reason: adding link.
                  regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Carol the pen isn't one of mine as I haven't sold any yet, just given a few as Christmas presents. And I live in the west of Ireland!

Crafychez, it takes me about hmm not sure about three quarters of an hour to make a pen but I know I will get much quicker in time. I haven't sold any yet and still haven't decided what I will charge for them. The refills are cross pen refills.

Tam thank you for the advice and link, it's much appreciated. Oh I love the slim pens, slimmer the better for me! So its interesting to hear a mans point of view.

I am going to tackle bowls next...which may involve a lot more questions!!!

Fiona
                    "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

lovely pens x

Comment

I don't do pens but these look as good as some that I have seen for sale. Good advice from Tam regarding blanks though, shop bought blanks seem cheap but the grain on certain woods is lost and you are better off using some of the more exotic woods IMHO. You can also make pens from all sorts of other materials such as acrylic, bone etc and if you Google woodturning pens and look at the images you will get some idea of the huge variety of shapes, materials etc. If you do craft fairs they are usually a good little earner as well

pete
                        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                        Facebook

Website

Comment

Thank you Hazel and Pete,

I'm so pleased they look ok. I can't imagine myself using anything other than wood, but I suppose it would be interesting to try other materials. I have only bought a few ready cut blanks and they have all looked good after being turned. I mostly plan to use wood from my own trees anyway.

Fiona

Comment

Working...
                          X