Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to wood work and the forum - Hoping for some advise please :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to wood work and the forum - Hoping for some advise please :)

Hey,

I just bought a jigsaw and I would really like to make some plaques for my home.

I don't want to spend much at all so hoping I can use MDF - I have some other wood here left over from a kitchen refit so I also hope I can use up, even if just for learning

So right now I have emulsion paint (I was going to use it as a base) and a lot of acrylic paint and was hoping it would work to paint some designs on the wood.

Is this possible to do just for something to use at home?

Another thing I wanted to know if about cutting the wood, I am using (And only have) a jigsaw - It doesnt do perfectly straight cuts on the thick wood.
    The thicker wood has a plastic (I think) colour on the top - It is from some kitchen cabinet doors, should I just use the jigsaw and try sandpaper it to a straighter edge?

Believe me, I am very amateur and just want to try this out for a few things to put up with the extra wood I have

Thanks!

hello John, what plaques do you mean, cut out names in wood or cut out flat bits of wood and paint the name on, if you want the former i think you will struggle with a jigsaw to get tight turns, but i could be wrong..

if you check out my link at the bottom, it will take you to my facebook page where you can see what i do..

Comment

Thanks!

I am just looking to cut the wood straight then paint on it myself

I will have a look at your facebook page now.

Thanks again

Comment

Hi John, and welcome aboard.

When you want to cut straight edges with a jigsaw, what you do is clamp a straight piece of wood to the work piece and use that as a guide for the jigsaw. A jigsaw won't give you the best of cuts, but if that's all you've got that is the way to go.

Also always try to cut from the back of the work as jigsaw blades cut on the up stroke, so you end up with a torn and splintered edge. If you must cut from the finish side stick some masking tape on the cut line and cut through that. The back side is best though for the best finish.

Good luck with the plaques.
        Last edited by TePe; 21-12-2012, 07:53 PM.
        regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

John. Can't help re woodwork but nice to see you here anyway.
          Carol
          God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Hi John,

TePe is right, jigsaws generally cut on the up stroke. However you can buy downcut blades which menas you can cut the wood with the face side upwards. I find this is better as jigsaws tend to 'drift' while you're cutting so you can't guarantee the cut will be square to the surface.
            If you have a coloured surface on an old kitchen door, it's either MFC (melamine faced chipboard) which is just a paper & resin layer on the surface, or laminated board which will have a 1mm plastic laminate (Formica as everyone calls it, although that's just a brand name) glued to the surface. Either of these surfaces are usually difficult to paint on as the hard surface won't allow the paint to be absorbed. It helps if you sand the surface first, but you're probably better to use MDF instead. When you're ready to paint it, seal the surface with a 50/50 mix of PVA glue and water, and then give that a sand once it's dried.
            Good luck with it. If you've got some offcuts you can try a few things out before you need to buy anything in, although MDF isn't that expensive anyway.

paul

Comment

Hi John, I'm a bit a bit of a newbie also. I work in MDF & Wood making shapes for others to use and carvings for my own use and although I primarily use computerised machinery I do have occasion to use a Jig-Saw. I must agree with others that they are not the best tool for cutting straight lines, however they can be mastered. As TePe suggests a clamped straight edge as a guide is essential.
              Welcome to the forum.
              James
              www.facebook.com/CraftyCath

Comment

Sorry for my late reply, been really busy lately.

Thank you so much for the replies, they have really helped

I will show an example of something I want to create for myself, the images will be different but the style is what I want to do.

plaque.jpg

Can anyone help on how to do this please?

The main thing is how can writing be included on the wood?
                This isn't written on and it looks like it also isn't just a print put on the wood...how can writing be put on like that?

This is the type of thing I would like to do with my own designs (Some I will be painting myself) but I really don't know the technique for the design / work.

Hope someone can help

Thanks again!

Comment

One other image,

I have no idea how images can be put on the wood like this :s

Comment

Originally posted by John D View Post
                    Sorry for my late reply, been really busy lately.

Thank you so much for the replies, they have really helped

I will show an example of something I want to create for myself, the images will be different but the style is what I want to do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34491[/ATTACH]

Can anyone help on how to do this please?

The main thing is how can writing be included on the wood?
                    This isn't written on and it looks like it also isn't just a print put on the wood...how can writing be put on like that?

This is the type of thing I would like to do with my own designs (Some I will be painting myself) but I really don't know the technique for the design / work.

Hope someone can help

Thanks again!
                    I replied to this same question back in 2012 Dec 3rd, and sent a PM to the post'er re: direct printing and transfers to wood/mdf etc. If you send me a PM request I'll do the same for you.

Cheers, hegus

Comment

Originally posted by hegus View Post
                      I replied to this same question back in 2012 Dec 3rd, and sent a PM to the post'er re: direct printing and transfers to wood/mdf etc. If you send me a PM request I'll do the same for you.

Cheers, hegus
                      Hey hegus, if you could that would be great please

Thanks!

Comment

Hi John, pretty simple stuff you've set your sights on. There's plenty of people on here should get you started and if you browse there Facebook pages and web sites you pick up some good idea and inspiration.
                        A scroll saw might be the way to go and a router but search youtube first as all tools bring an element of danger and demand some upskilling before becoming an asset.
                        James
                        www.facebook.com/CraftyCath

Comment

An remember if you are using MDF wear some suitable mask to minimise inhalation of dust (Mask should be used for any woodwork but especially MDF)
                          Pat Murphy

http://www.gladturnings.co.uk
                          https://www.facebook.com/GladTurnings.Woodturning

Comment

Thanks again for replies.

Hi John, pretty simple stuff you've set your sights on.

This is my first time doing anything with wood, so I want to have it simple and not work with expensive wood
                            Better to waste a lot of cheap wood with my mistakes than with expensive higher quality wood

An remember if you are using MDF wear some suitable mask to minimise inhalation of dust (Mask should be used for any woodwork but especially MDF)

I really didn't think of that to be honest Something I really should have...

Comment

Hey Hegus, I sent a PM a while back, just wondering if you got it and you can help please

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X