Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool advice please.

Hi there,

hope there is someone here that can just pop a quick helpful reply. Ive done a quick search and couldn't find the answer.

Ive taken the bark off a small piece of wood and am looking to sand it down to get a smooth finish before applying some satin to it. Problem is in the sanding I've tried sandpaper and wire wool but my hands are sore a little with having arthritis.

So was wondering if there was a power tool that you could recommend with an attachment to do the job??

many many thanks in advance.
    Rob

Sorry should have added the wood is around 14inx6in and a sander would be too big I'm thinking. Something that I could hold with one hand whilst attending to the wood with the other. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Hi Rob,

Have you considered a flap wheel in an electric drill. I'm sure you can get them in different grits.
      regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

What about a Dremel multitool?
        Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

We use a Black and Decker mouse. Looks like a small iron, but also has attachments for getting into fiddly bits.
          David & Catherine

Comment

Tam, Sarah, PyroMania thanks all very much for your idea and suggestions I will go google now and then once the kids are in school I'll go and get one of your suggestions. Thanks once again. X

Comment

Hi, should have mentioned that if you go for the flap wheels, or any other abrasives try here. I've no link with the place, just a happy customer.
              regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Thanks for the link. I'll certainly get some bits and bobs from there. Now all I have to do is continue to work out how to drill a 60mm hole 45mm down into wood. Banging head against wall might prove easier :-) thanks once again.

Comment

There are many companies that make the mini electric tool kits, not just Dremel and they can be very useful too!! Mine is not a known make but cost me only £9.99 about 3 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Robsmithimages View Post
                    Thanks for the link. I'll certainly get some bits and bobs from there. Now all I have to do is continue to work out how to drill a 60mm hole 45mm down into wood. Banging head against wall might prove easier :-) thanks once again.
                    Forstner bit if it's for T lights (like Tam, no connection, just satisfied customer LOL)

Pete
                    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                    Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
                      Forstner bit if it's for T lights (like Tam, no connection, just satisfied customer LOL)

Pete
                      Thanks as ever Pete. 4candles tin so slightly bigger than t ligh!!!!:-) if only I had a lathe then I'll buy one in a shot. I'm guessing hand held isn't the way to go :-) but for one off Xmas presents don't think I can push towards the cost of a lathe. Wonder if there is anyone within a 20 mile or so radius of Bolton that would like the job for a fee of course :-)? Kids eh!!!! They come up with these ideas and we, as parents can't say no, as they are trying there v best to be different/crafty :-)

Comment

Use a sanding pad, you can get them at axminsters.co.uk http://www.axminster.co.uk/flexipads...ds-prod835839/,

they fit into any drill and there are differnet sizes to choose from.
                        Handmade Walking Sticks and Canes
                        www.prestigewalkingsticks.com

Comment

Working...
                        X