Cedar Pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar Pen

Today I made a cedar pen, it actually looks quite good, in fact I have to keep staring at it and reminding myself that I did actually make it. I don't have much confidence I'm afraid!!!

Anyway I'm just wondering if cedar wood is hard enough for a pen? I put several coats of speedeeze and some wax on it but then wondered if CA would be a tougher coat. I don't have any CA at the moment.

I'm going to the woodturning shop next week so will take the white wheel back.

Many thanks,

Fiona
    "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Well I'm no wood worker, but it seems it should be hard enough for a pen. I have a cedar chest, and people sit on it...so if cedar is hard enugh for that, surely it would be hard enough for a pen. But there may be some aspects of it I don't know about.

Pics??

Your assignment for today - pick up your beautiful cedar pen, smile real big and say loudly, "I made that!!! Isn't it grand!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Eyebright View Post
      Today I made a cedar pen, it actually looks quite good, in fact I have to keep staring at it and reminding myself that I did actually make it. I don't have much confidence I'm afraid!!!

Many thanks,

Fiona
      I'm sorry Fiona, you should know this by now, but if there ain't a photo, it didn't happen.

Good luck with the wheel, hope you get it sorted soon.
      regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Thank you Susan, yes I guess it should be ok.

Well I want to put a pic of my pen here but, well my camera and me and my dog had an unfortunate accident. I was walking molly by the sea and two big horrible growly dogs approached. These dogs were tied together by a lead and there was no one with them. The two dogs launched into Molly, biting her badly. Molly ran into the sea to get away from them but they got her and it was terrible. At this point the dogs owner turned up but did nothing, so I had to wade into the sea and grab hold of the bit of lead between the two dogs and haul them off her, the dogs pulled me over twice, I was drenched, my knees were cut and my camera fell in the sea and was ruined. I dragged the dogs out of the water, thankfully they didnt attack me. The owner was still standing some distance away I had to scream at him to get the dogs. He rushed over, grabbed them, said "Sorry about that and hurried off." Poor Molly was bleeding and had to have stitches. I was so upset it took me ages to get over it. I reported it to the police but they claimed they couldn't find the owner.

So now i have to borrow my sons camera but it takes such large photos. Perhaps the size can be reduced. If I try to post a pictre it says the file is too large. Also I'm rubbish on the computer and don't really know how to post pictures.

So thats the story of why there's no picture of my pen, but I am proud of myself, in fact I can hardly believe it!

Fiona x
        "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

You're right Tam, perhaps I'll snatch my sons camera and try again!

Comment

Good heavens what a terrible experience!!! Omigosh!!! That's awful!!! Inexcusable!!! I'd be walking along there every day hoping to find the person....my gosh, how scary...bet you feel like you need to carry a cattle prod now, just to enjoy walking your dog...sheesh! What an awful thing to have to go through!! Hope Molly and your knees are okay!!!

Comment

Thank you Susan, yes it was one of the worst most frightening experiences of my life! And to make it worse it happened back in August just a couple of weeks after i'd finished a year of treatment for breast cancer and i'd a terrible cold. Honestly the things life throws at you. Molly's ok, she's such a bouncy happy dog she helped me get over it rather than the other way round! A cattle prod would be good! I have been back there lots of times and once we saw a different man with two very similar dogs but my son was with me and wouldn't let me approach him just in case they were the wrong dogs.

I took a smaller photo of my pens the cedar pen and two beech pens with my sons camera, but the photo came out a bit fuzzy. Grrr. And then I spent ages trying to post it but I'm such a twit I haven't managed it yet!! Double Grrrrrs!!!

Comment

In case anyone would like to know, I found out that cedar wood is a bit soft for pens, but if you make the pen on the lathe then treat it with thin super glue, then sand and polish it, the wood will be good and hard forever. So that's what I'm going to do.

Fiona

Comment

Working...
                X