Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer/sealer confusion!

Hi everybody,

This is my first post & i could do with some assistance! Having spent hours trying to find the perfect wooden advent calendar i decided to be creative and make my own. I have a well sanded wooden box with 25 doors but i am a little confused about painting it. Are primers and sealers the same thing? To me its logical to think a sealer is what you would coat the object in once you've painted it to seal it, but after searching online i am starting to think its used to seal the wood before painting? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Kate

sealer is for unstable wood or surfaces. If they are likely to ooze resin etc or be exceptionally thirsty. primer is to make a good paintable surface and help the paint adhere.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

As above but what wood is it? and well done
      WWW.SHUFFSWOOD.CO.UK

Comment

It can all be a bit confusing can't it.

Here's a link: Varnishes/Finishes/Sealers .... it has very useful information in each section .... whether you decide to use their products or not ... it just helps explain everything .
        COUNTRY LOVE CRAFTS - 01235 861700
        Ceramic Supplies, Craft Blanks, Acrylic Paints, Decopatch and Much More! Global shipping. Speedy Deliveries.
        Facebook * Twitter * Website * E-mail *

Comment

If it is a soft wood such as pine then it can help to give a coat of sealer to harden the wood grain then sand back again for a better surface to the wood. If it is a harder wood such as beech then just put a primer on first. Make sure that the primer you use is the same base (oil or water) as the paint that you are going to use. I echo the 'well done' to do this if it is your first wood project. Pictures are always welcome by the way LOL.

pete
          "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
          Facebook

Website

Comment

Working...
          X