No announcement yet.

Revisited slightly decorated Ash bowl!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisited slightly decorated Ash bowl!

Hi folks
    I was not happy with the lid I recently made for this vase so after a visit to Dorset where I saw a guy making sculptures on the beach from balancing big stones I don`t know why but I thought - lid/handle...... so this is the result. I thought white but my other half thought it would look better black??.
    C&C welcome
    Regards
    Steve

Last edited by gasmansteve; 29-09-2011, 08:56 PM. Reason: oops wrong title!!

I like the design and construction, but have to agree with your OH that black looks better.

Linda

Comment

Is it black paint or stain. I personally think it would look better with some grain showing through.

Either way, I like the vase and the toppling "pebbles".
      What't the wording in English, also how big is the vase?

Vik

Oakdale Studios Facebook
      Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
      bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

My vote goes with black too.

Mo.XX
        Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
        Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
        www.bodrighy.co.uk
        https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys black it is then
          The vase is about 8" high and about 5" max diameter. The lid is a piece of Ash and the pebbles are Poly clay. This seems very versatile stuff to work with and is something I`d like to pursue, have to check out the Poly clay forums now .
          Regards
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by gasmansteve View Post
            Thanks for the replies guys black it is then
            The vase is about 8" high and about 5" max diameter. The lid is a piece of Ash and the pebbles are Poly clay.
            Nice size, sorry, but I thought the stones were wood............why not use real stones/pebbles?

Vik

Oakdale Studios Facebook
            Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
            bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

Hi Vik
              Not a bad idea real stones! but then I`m searching for the right size and if the colours not right I`d have to spray em anyway but good idea for a future piece. I must have walked past the Poly clay display a hundred times and not given it a thought so i`m sussing out some tutorials on the stuff.
              Cheers
              Steve

Comment

An honest oppinion I love the hollow form but the lid really does nothing for me in either black or white. I guess it's just a matter of taste.

Drew
                Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
                our Facebook page
                follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

Comment

I prefer the black as it ties in well with the writing. I didn't see pebbles though. they would want to be a bit more uneven and flatish
                  I have made pebbles out of polymer and you can actually get granite effect clays etc (sculpy or premo) . Therefore you could make different pebble designs in differing colours and put them together. They'd really look pebble-like then.
                  http://creativeandfaithful.blogspot....ymer-clay.html

http://www.munrocrafts.com/polyclaycolors.html
                  Last edited by beadsbydesign; 01-10-2011, 07:56 AM.
                  full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

No probs Drew appreciate the comments! It was just an idea I had sometimes they work sometimes not!. My harshest critic is my daughter who surprisingly likes it so ther you go. My little digi camera seems to make my lids more chunky than they are for some weird reason have to get a newun :-))
                    Cheers
                    Steve

Comment

Oooh that black is gorgeous! Really adds to a beautiful piece
                      www.morgannacraft.co.uk
                      Facebook fan page!

Comment

Have you got a wobble chuck? or try turning the pebbles of center then using a vinegar rust solution to blacken the wood if the tanin levels are high enough. You would get a grainy effect. I really like the over all piece and the lettering there is just something about the lid that took away from the actual hollow form. As I said I love the piece it's just my own personal oppinion on the lid, I think it would look stunning without it. Would be a really strange world if we all liked the same things.

Drew
                        Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
                        our Facebook page
                        follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

Comment

Thanks Becs glad you like it!.
                          I did think of doing the 'pebbles' off set on the lathe Drew but didn't want them to look symmetrical !
                          Cheers
                          Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X