Long overdue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long overdue

Seems like I haven't been making things for an eternity, But it's only been a few months in reality. The workshop is finally finished, FB link to the album as there are to many pictures to add here lol. http://www.facebook.com/HandyWoodcra...8153941&type=1

Anyway the real reason for this thread my newest item hot of the lathe today. It's a 12" diameter yew form/bowl keeping as much of the natural features in as I could. This is my second item of the new lathe and to date the biggest thing I have turned as all my other lathes capacity were no where near as big as this ones. I also helps that I have a sorby partiot chuck now as-well, best thing I have ever bought.

yewbowl0001.jpg yewbowl0003.jpg yewbowl0002.jpg

Love to hear what people think of it.

Drew

PS: I will be announcing a free competition/giveaway this weekend on my facebook page for followers in the UK to be able to own one of my pieces. So if you want to get in on the act please like the page and watch out for the announcement.
    HandyWoodcrafts
    Last edited by HandyWoodcrafts; 10-09-2011, 01:02 AM.
    Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
    our Facebook page
    follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

Another great piece of work Drew; I look forward to seeing more.

Is your hand fully healed now?

Linda

Comment

That's gorgeous, Drew!

Looks like the hand finally forgave you
      Do not watch this space

Comment

I second the others Drew, looks as if your hand is OK now. That'll teach you to be more careful in the future .

Very nice work on the 'discus', does well to display the beauty of the Yew. Hope someone will be the happy recipient soon.
        regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Thanks very much I appreciate the comments. Tam I will always refer to them as a Discus now rather than a flying saucer lol.

My hand is well on the way to being as good as new I only have a slight numbness now and again when my palm rubs against something. I have been taking a little more care but my left hand seems destined to be a chopping block as I have cut it a few times since but not to the extent that laid me up for a while. I have to admit that being over cautious can also be dangerous so I have decided not to be afraid of the tools and just respect them.

The selling aspect is a little out of kilter right now. I am making but not selling hohum.

Drew
          our Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by HandyWoodcrafts View Post
            Thanks very much

The selling aspect is a little out of kilter right now. I am making but not selling hohum.

Drew
            Yours and everybody else's I think, just this week I had another guy stop giving me the usual order. Will still get some work but only in dribs and drabs from now on. Not too worried though, I 'orficialy' retired in June so am looking for a bit more time to myself and hopefully turn some things I want to.

'Discus' only reason I called it that was it is reminiscent of a Jimmy Clewe's demo I watched a while back where he made one similiar but gilded the small bowl area. Quite effective the way it was done.
            regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Beautiful scultptural and tactile piece that shows the beauty of the wood and great artistry and craftsmanship.

Comment

You have made the most of a lovely piece of Yew Drew, like it a lot. Pleased to hear the hand is better too.

Mo.XX
                Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                www.bodrighy.co.uk
                https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Nice use of some lovely wood drew keep them coming
                  Pete
                  "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                  Facebook

Website

Comment

Thanks everyone I really enjoyed making it.

Drew
                    our Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by HandyWoodcrafts View Post

My hand is well on the way to being as good as new I only have a slight numbness now and again when my palm rubs against something. I have been taking a little more care but my left hand seems destined to be a chopping block as I have cut it a few times since but not to the extent that laid me up for a while. I have to admit that being over cautious can also be dangerous so I have decided not to be afraid of the tools and just respect them.

Drew
                      Pleased to hear your hand is better now Drew, the numbness will go completely eventually. I put a small screwdriver right through my hand once, (luckily it missed severing anything important!) my OH laughed at me for whining at first, he thought it was a mere flesh wound until I showed him that there was a hole on BOTH sides of my hand!! It was a couple of months before my thumb felt "right".

I love the disc - beautiful piece of yew, looks very touchable.
                      www.formerglory.co.uk- www.seatweaving.blogspot.com - Facebook page - Twitter

Comment

Thanks I have a nice scar now and in comparison to the actual cut it looks like it was just a small flesh wound. Some people have looked at it and gone is that all but the scar definitly dosent tell the whole story. In time it will even fade but it will be a constant reminder of that a laps of concentration can have sometimes devastating after effects. This time I was lucky and will try to be carefull from now on.

Saying all that I am now up for it and looking forward to getting back to making items both decorative (woodturning) and functional (bench work). As a lot of you probably already guessed I like to show what I do and will never tire of taking pictures and... well I guess showing off.

Drew
                        our Facebook page

Comment

Working...
                        X