Carving tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carving tools?

Hi, i'm interested in doing some detailed carving and wondered what kind of tools I need? I want to make small carvings with a lot of detail so i'm guessing I will need small tools (i'm a genious). The only carving I have done is a bit of whittling and don't know how 'into' it i'll get so I don't want to buy anything too expensive.

Thanks in advance, Chunk.

what material will you be carving?
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Erm... wood.
      I don't really know what wood I havn't got that far lol, something soft idealy.

Comment

you need a set of fine wood chissels. There are lots of places online that sell them. Basically you get what you pay for. look up wood turning supplies.
        They should only beused for wood. If you go into other materials like plaster or stone then you will need other tools.
        You need to keep the wood chissels oiled and sharpened.
        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Ok thanks, i'm not going to be carving anything other than wood.
          Is there a good website with carving styles and techniques and stuff?

Comment

i have been doing hand carved wooden names for a few years now. at first i used a standard stanley knife i then found a small hand chisel set from draper that ifound in hobbycraft. i used them until i found this website www axminster co uk they do all kinds of carving tools and dvd/videos. some of the items are expensive but i find pay a bit extra and the tools will look after you. i bought the flexcut tool roll plus a mini flexcut tool. they are the best tools for what i do. order the catalouge and see for yourself.
            happy carving
            steve

Comment

Working...
            X