Turned lampshades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turned lampshades

I have just got back from a holiday that included a visit to the Faroe Islands, where we visited a woodturner. Who makes lampshades, which I found amazing - they are so thin that the light shines through the wood. (I estimate that they were about 1mm thick, apart from the top and a ring near the edge).

Sadly, they were too expensive for me, so all I have is a photograph. But they were amazing, and if I ever win the lottery...

Lampshade.jpg
    Dagna
    The living embodiment of the phrase 'not a morning person'
    Examples of my jewellery and photography are on my home page: http://www.seshat.com
    Folksy shop: http://www.folksy.com/shops/Dagna

Gosh they look fantastic. That's one for bod and the turner gang to get their teeth into.
    I would imagine that it needs an incredibly steady hand to get to 1mm thick
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

If I ever see one of these in the flesh it will be sold!

I love treen and it is hard enough ignoring bod and the other turners here as it is! I rarely look as I know hat will happen!!
      Do not watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by StefC View Post
        If I ever see one of these in the flesh it will be sold!

I love treen and it is hard enough ignoring bod and the other turners here as it is! I rarely look as I know hat will happen!!
        Awh go on Stef have a look, bod will sulk if he knows you are ignoring him LOL

Don't know what will happen to such an item once it gets nice and warm from the light bulb, I suspect the thin timber will dry out and that lovely wood shade will split and warp :-(( maybe that wouldn't matter though and would just add to the handmade nature of the product.

Mo.XX
        Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
        Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
        www.bodrighy.co.uk
        https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Gorgeous as it is, and it certainly is, I am thinking fire hazzard. I wonder what they have treated it with to prevent that.
          Carol
          God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Amazing work and nice stuff in the background as well. You wouldn't think there would be much wood on the Faroe Islands but suppose being so cold and windswept but they could get a lot of driftwood.

Comment

Stunning, never realised that you could get light to show through wood.
              http://www.scrumptioustextiles.blogspot.com

Comment

That's lovely. I'd definitely be tempted, as I find it hard to find lampshades that I like. (I am such a fusspot)
                Celia
                I can't be creative and tidy too
                www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
                The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
                Jencel on Facebook

Comment

1mm thats thin but depending on timber being used and the closeness of the grain I think light would shine through even if its about 3 to 4mm. I'm thinking oak would be nice as it has a really nice open grain. I'm going to test this out when I get the workshop up and running again. I think I will use a torch first to see what wood works best. probably some low energy and low heat emitting bulbs may work. I'm also thinking a root lamp with turned shades would just look the business. Just need to find a young enough tree thats been damaged then dry it out.

Drew
                  Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
                  our Facebook page
                  follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

Comment

These are usually turned wet as the wood is more flexible and easier to get thin. They would be pretty expensive simply because the care needed to get the whole shade the same thickness and that thin takes ages. They are often made from sycamore as that is a plain wood that will let the light through. Fire isn't a problem if you use only low energy bulbs and don't have them right on top of the wood. If the wood isn't totally dry it will warp but that thinis less likely to split. if it dries out more with the heat.

Pete
                    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                    Facebook

Website

Comment

He had long-life lightbulbs in them, so that would be cooler.
                      Dagna
                      The living embodiment of the phrase 'not a morning person'
                      Examples of my jewellery and photography are on my home page: http://www.seshat.com
                      Folksy shop: http://www.folksy.com/shops/Dagna

Comment

these lampshades are quite thin i have only ever done pot pourri pots and natural edged bowls to sit on window sills that are translucent i made them just to see if i could and yes i can
                        i currently have a lampshade on commission which i will post when done
                        the wood i used as said was very wet cherry that was constantly sprayed with a fine mist spray bottle to keep it wet with a flexi light behind the work to check the even thickness along the cut this really helps as the cherry glows golden red

if antbody elsewould like one give me a shout when i have posted the commission
                        chris

Artisan community craft club kent

Comment

Working...
                        X