MIA and wounded.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIA and wounded.......

It's been a while since I last posted here. After getting our new lathe I started on a new project extending the shed Pictures here if your interested. Things started moving on great however just shy of 2 weeks ago my left hand had an argument with a split new 3/4" chisel (I was sad enough to post pics of my hand on my personal fb page) and the chisel won outright the only split decission was my hand with an 1 3/4" by 1/2"ish deep cut along the fleshy part under the thumb. I had to have an operation on it the following day but all in all I count myself really lucky as it could have gone accross the back of my hand and done major tendon damage or it could have hit 2" lower on my wrist, thank god it didn't. So anyway appart from a lovely scar and a slight numbness at the nail of the thumb I think it's going to be ok.

It's a stark reminder of how dangerous working with sharp tools and power tools can be and how a small laps of concentration can render you out of action for a while. I will be off to the hospital again on Tuesday to see about getting the stitches out so hopefully with a gloved hand I will be up for finishing this shed soon.

Hopefully new projects and items will be on show here again in the not too distant future.

Drew
    Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
    our Facebook page
    follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

Ouch!

Arguments which sharp chisels certainly isn't recommended as you are always going to lose! Lucky you for not doing more damage to yourself - take your time before trying to do too much, you don't want to aggravate it and end up doing more damage.
    Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
    Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Poor you, hope your hand is soon mended.

Jane
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Thats not a shed its a palace. You can swing a dozen cats round in there - after your poor thumb is better of course. (No insult to cat lovers, I am one myself). All you have to do now is find a home for the rest of the stuff still out in the garden to keep the OH happy. lol.
        Carol
        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Mornin' Drew, sorry to hear about your argument with the chisel, but glad to hear it wasn't worse, it could have been.

Once this palatial abode is complete you'll have a lot more area to clean up, you know woodturning, the stuff gets everywhere.

One thing about all this is that you won't do that again, I had a altercation with my bandsaw I got off as lucky as you did. All be it I was off work for 6 weeks, but be assured you never get in that position again. Teaches you a lot of respect for these tools.

Hope you can get back to work soon.
          regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Take care, hope you get well soon
            http://stratis-art.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks everyone Yup could have been worse, I was cleaning out a rebate for a hinge on the window something I have done a thousand times before and I just slipped. A moments laps of concentration and bam. My wee laddie was well impressed that I didn't cry lol, I bet I would have made a bigger song and dance if I had given myself a papercut. Getting well isn't the problem it's the frustration of not being able to do what I want to do, I can't even peel a tattie right now, Grrrr.

Tam a few months ago I was with a friend who was cutting logs for me on his industrial bandsaw and his hand slipped he was also lucky it didn't take his finger off although now it's healed he has lost 5mm from the length from his middle finger, that made me really wary of the power tools and made me respect them a lot more.

LOL Carol I was going for the cat swinging sort of space. I need the room to carry out bigger projects and the lathe itself is about 3 times the size of the small lathe I have. I am hopeing to start messing about with restoration/ alteration/ repair and making larger items of furniture when I get the chance aswell.

Thanks again everyone.

Drew
              our Facebook page

Comment

Ahhh... the stories that come from woodworking! I once got a splinter in my finger...does that count?? LOL. Seriously though ... if anyone ever asks me how to get into this kind of hobby the first thing I do is tell em the scary stuff! If they havent gone pale and vomited by this point then maybe they have what it takes and I direct them to a good class to learn the basics!

Personally I am never happier than sticking a sharp piece of metal into a piece of wood spinning at 3000rpm even if the chisel does occasionally fly off into the wall!
                Asking me to make you a shelf is like asking Michealangelo to creosote your fence.

http://www.woodsweatandtrees.co.uk

Comment

Well thats that then the hand is sufficiently healed and I have mananged to start lining the shed. I can't wait till this monstrosity is finished, I'm so blooming bored it's beginning to do my napper in.

Drew
                  our Facebook page

Comment

Good luck Drew, It's good to hear your healing nicely.

Steve
                    Please pass the word.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Valewoodturner/135543009799667

http://valewoodturner.blogspot.co.uk/

" 200 years of family tradition continued in the only way I know how. "

Comment

Good news Drew and you have the scar to frighten future newbies with LOL

Look forward to seeing the finished shed, well its a proper workshop now surely.

Mo.XX
                      Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                      Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                      www.bodrighy.co.uk
                      https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

It will be soon Mo, and thanks Steve.

I'm seriously thankfill that I didn't do much damage, an inch up and my thumb could have been lost, 2 inches lower and it may have been major tendon damage. I must have has someone looking out for me that day.

We are just about done with the internal lining now and have half a floor down, so its coming along nicely. Maybe a week to 10 days and then it will be back to grind again. I have the Edinburgh bead fair to get ready for in September so need to pull my finger out my &*$ lol.

Drew
                        our Facebook page

Comment

He can always gaffer tape the chisel to his hand like the Motorhead drummer Phil (the animal) Taylor who hurt his hand in a fight and the the only way he could play was to gaffer tape the drumstick to his hand.

Comment

Working...
                          X