Is a router what I need??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a router what I need??

Hi - another wood question - or MDF in fact <blush>...

I've been given some really strange shapes of 12 mm MDF - all I can think to make with them are fancy mirror frames. I've found some round mirrors which would go nicely in the middle but I think they'd be better inset than just glued on the top. I'd need to make a hole just a couple of mm deep to inset the mirrors but have no idea how to do it. Would a router do it? And, if so, how difficult is it to get a perfect(ish) circle with a router?

Roz

By your description a router would do the job but they aren't cheap for a decent one and not the easiest of tools to use. Very useful once you have got the nack though

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

Thanks Pete. My next door neighbour is a bit of a woodworker and has a router - he's retired and loves to have a go with things so maybe I'll ask him to try it for me. He's bandsawed some things for me in the past so very willing.

I see you've got a Dylan quote in you sig - you a fan? I've seen him in concert 13 times

Roz

Comment

Originally posted by rejb68 View Post
        Thanks Pete. My next door neighbour is a bit of a woodworker and has a router - he's retired and loves to have a go with things so maybe I'll ask him to try it for me. He's bandsawed some things for me in the past so very willing.

I see you've got a Dylan quote in you sig - you a fan? I've seen him in concert 13 times

Roz
        I used to be a big fan but never got to see him live. Mostly his early works though.

Pete
        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
        Facebook

Website

Comment

A router seems to be what you need. If you are using it yourself then you would be better with a 1/4 collet size. They are most suited for the beginner. You also get a 1/2 size which are aimed at the professional more experienced user.

You can also buy a router Guide Kit which will cut perfect cirlces in wood. However they are not cheap.

Comment

Or, if they're all the same, make a jig for routing just this size of circle. Your neighbour probably knows how... and if not, googling for "router circle" gives a ton of advice on several ways to do it. Have some scrap to practice on, though!
            Cheers,
            Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
            Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Working...
            X