messing about with inlays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• messing about with inlays

Decided to try some inlays on one or two pieces .... the smaller one (5" diam) is my fave but then the larger "Eyebowl" platter is certainly distinctive! The inlays themselves were bought from my local hobby crafts for a few quid and then contact adhesived into place. I particulary like the effect that the pewter knotwork gives ... what do you folk think?

Ash
    Attached Files
    Asking me to make you a shelf is like asking Michealangelo to creosote your fence.

http://www.woodsweatandtrees.co.uk

Mornin' Ash. Like both effects, are they solid pewter?

I prefer the knot work design, but playing devil's advocate as a working bowl I would be concerned about the spaces between the knot weave holding dirt. Saying that it takes nothing away from the work IMO.

As an after thought have you thought about filling the spaces with a resin fill?
    regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Nice idea there. I too prefer the 2nd one. Have you put them into a recess? The knot one looks a bit like the pewter pot pourri lids you can get but they tend to be concave s probably wouldn't be suitable. I can't say I've seen these things must keep my eyes open for them.

Pete
      "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
      Facebook

Website

Comment

Hi guys ... the knotwork IS pewter and is actually a medallion for jewellery making (if you look close you can see the hole in the rim at the south east position) but it was round and I thought "I know what I can do with that!"

As for resin ... I have never used the stuff ... is it easy to use? Maybe I should have a look at a tutorial or something as I have seen a lot of stuff which uses resin fill etc... maybe an area for research methinks!
        Asking me to make you a shelf is like asking Michealangelo to creosote your fence.

http://www.woodsweatandtrees.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X