Taking a break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a break

I seem to have been making buttons, beads and spindles non stop for a few days so I had a break for an hour and made these two little pots. They are made from wet cherry so may split, hope not but you takes your chances with wet wood. They are hollowed out and are both approx. 4" diameter and 3" tall.

Pete
    Last edited by bodrighy; 05-03-2011, 01:28 AM.
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

attachments are not showing pete

Drew
    Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
    our Facebook page
    follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

Comment

Originally posted by HandyWoodcrafts View Post
      attachments are not showing pete

Drew
      Just sorted it Drew LOL

Pete
      "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
      Facebook

Website

Comment

They are really cool Pete, must have dried out a little when spinning aswell. According to Stuart Mortimer when i was watching him at the Scotish woodcraft show last year he spin dries a lot of his stuff on the lathe. I turned a massive chunk of wet oak last week but its still about 3/4" thick and all wrapped up in paper and in a bag for future turning i have lefr a natural bark edge on it i hope it stays on its over an inch thick (the bark that is).

How many buttons you been making?

Drew
        our Facebook page

Comment

I have an order for 200 and another order for 20. Plus a 100 pairs of knitting needles in 10 different sizes to do. I need the light relief of something a bit more arty farty to break the tedium LOL.

Pete
          Facebook

Website

Comment

Good god that is a lot I see why you needed the break and a very productive break aswell. I don't think you have grasped the concept of the word break though lol.

Have a kitkat have a break

Drew
            our Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by HandyWoodcrafts View Post
              Good god that is a lot I see why you needed the break and a very productive break aswell. I don't think you have grasped the concept of the word break though lol.

Have a kitkat have a break

Drew
              Having a break means doing something you enjoy and chilling in my book. These little pots are fun to make and so relaxing. If I do anything too big I get side tracked and th bread and butter stuff gets left. LOL.

Pete
              Facebook

Website

Comment

Like them!

Linda

Comment

Love the shape of the second one especially Pete, back to your japanese influences.

Mo.XX
                  Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                  Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                  www.bodrighy.co.uk
                  https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Nice work Pete, I especially like the second one.
                    Not been at the lathe for a week now, been laid up with an ear infection. First thing was some tap levers in Corian, not as pleasurable to turn as wood
                    Pat Murphy

http://www.gladturnings.co.uk
                    https://www.facebook.com/GladTurnings.Woodturning

Comment

Originally posted by woodturningpat View Post
                      Nice work Pete, I especially like the second one.
                      Not been at the lathe for a week now, been laid up with an ear infection. First thing was some tap levers in Corian, not as pleasurable to turn as wood
                      Yuck Corian, the devils work, poor you LOL

Mo.XX
                      Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                      Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                      www.bodrighy.co.uk
                      https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Wow you are doing well Pete.
                        I love those little vases. I have a cherry tree in my back garden, it was huge but i'd chopped a lot of it down last year, NOW i wish i had kept the wood?
                        PeonyRose
                        "She who works with her hands is a labourer. She who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson. But, She who works with her hands and her head AND her heart is an Artist."
                        --Francis of Assisi & PeonyRose

Comment

Originally posted by PeonyRose52 View Post
                          Wow you are doing well Pete.
                          I love those little vases. I have a cherry tree in my back garden, it was huge but i'd chopped a lot of it down last year, NOW i wish i had kept the wood?
                          PeonyRose
                          Cherry can be a really pretty wood. It is prone to splitting though so you need to be a bit careful with it. If it was huge then maybe it was one of the native ones which can have some really gorgeous colouring and grain i them...just to make you feel worse LOL.

pete
                          Facebook

Website

Comment

It was a copper leafed cherry tree. Red flowers if that helps.
                            It is still alive but will be stubborn to grow after my brutal attack on it last year?
                            I really want to try wood turning! What would you recomend in terms of equipment?
                            PeonyRose
                            "She who works with her hands is a labourer. She who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson. But, She who works with her hands and her head AND her heart is an Artist."
                            --Francis of Assisi & PeonyRose

Comment

Originally posted by PeonyRose52 View Post
                              It was a copper leafed cherry tree. Red flowers if that helps.
                              It is still alive but will be stubborn to grow after my brutal attack on it last year?
                              I really want to try wood turning! What would you recomend in terms of equipment?
                              PeonyRose
                              The best advice I can give is that you find out if there are any decent clubs near you and go along to one and have a go there. It is the sort of craft that can be addictive and if you aren't careful you can spend a small fortune setting up. Once you are certain that you would like to take it up then you will need a lathe, some tools, a grinder and ideally some sort of dust protection, basic is a mask at least. Lathes can be anything from £100 to thousands and it depends on what you would like to turn that dictates as well of course how much you can afford. Unless you are going to start doing really fancy work you can do most things with a basic 4 or 5 tools. Gradually add as you get more experienced and want to do more, as you probably will. Start with the club though, or another turner near you who is willing to mentor you at first to see if you really do want to get into it.

pete
                              Facebook

Website

Comment

Working...
                              X