Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Wood Stove

Hi,

I've seen a few videos of people making wood stoves from cans, beer kegs etc.

I wondered if anyone here knew anyone that made these or made them themselves... winter is setting in and I have a nice pile off tiny wood shavings and offcuts with nothing to do!

I've seen them made from old oil drums and we have one that was made for workshops that is thick gauge steel with controlable air supply and burns shavings and off cuts. It is probably better in the long run to buy a purpose built one I would say. If the ones from cans may get too hot the metal can buckle and you have limited control over the heat and could smoke a lot. The one we go wasn't a fortune, will save a lot in heating bills and will be lighting it soon when it gets a little cooler which will be a sign that winter is on its way. Regards LC

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for that, can I ask where you got yours from because I'm not finding many for less than £600! I had though canal chandlers would be good as by neccesity they would be small but I'm not having much luck there either!

Comment

if you google "pot bellied stove " you will find various suppliers of the small stoves. i once made several stoves out of 45 gallon drums for workshops and as posted above they only last a couple of years because the steel being thin weakens . the pot belly stoves are cast iron and as long as its not a huge room,are a really nice thing to own-they are good to cook on the top,fry ups etc.
        Last edited by bobby p; 20-09-2010, 06:35 AM.

Comment

I’m looking into small wood burners at the moment and found a few. Unfortunately I’m not allowed to post links as I’m new, but if you Google these hopefully you’ll find them. If you can’t feel free to PM me…

Windysmithy
          Snail stoves
          KP Wood burning stove
          Canvas and cast

Comment

Last year a friend of ours who is a wood burning stove fitter made us a burner from an old gas bottle. It's great!

">
            www.formerglory.co.uk- www.seatweaving.blogspot.com - Facebook page - Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by LillyBeth View Post
              I’m looking into small wood burners at the moment and found a few. Unfortunately I’m not allowed to post links as I’m new, but if you Google these hopefully you’ll find them. If you can’t feel free to PM me…

Windysmithy
              Snail stoves
              KP Wood burning stove
              Canvas and cast
              Thanks for those - very helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by Former Glory View Post
                Last year a friend of ours who is a wood burning stove fitter made us a burner from an old gas bottle. It's great!

">
                Thats brilliant!

Comment

Wow I love the gas bottle wood burning stove

Comment

The hardwood shavings, sawdust and sanding dust that I manage to produce during my various projects is put to one side, and where ever possible seperated into speices: oak, beech, apple , ash, etc. and retained for smoking food. I have been succcessful smoking; sausages, Bacon, pork, chicken, mushrooms, bell peppers, tomatoes, walnuts, hazlenuts, sweet chestnuts, and even Honey for one of my home-brewing escapades.

The shavings and sawdust from softwoods, plywood and chipboard projects have been retained, for a scultpting project that I want to do. I have only sculpted once before: with layers of cardboard. So mixing saw dust with wood glue to make blocks, and then sculpting detail with a dremel should make for an interesting project this winter.
                    Regards from Gareth.

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.

www.overthegate.com

Comment

Working...
                    X