No announcement yet.

Pyrography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can agree with others after recently purchasing a devan! It's great!! And the chap who makes it is more than helpful!!

Comment

Hello all
      I have just this second signed up to this forum. I started Pyrography in June and I use the Peter Child's pyrography unit and I'm very impressed with it BUT it's very limited on tips, you can make your own with the specific wire but that's a pain.
      Yours sincerely
      Firefox
      Last edited by 3dDave; 01-08-2019, 08:46 PM. Reason: No links, please read forum rules.

Comment

I wanted to find something similar, and your topic is very useful for me! Pyrography is a very intermittent process, I have been involved in photography for many years and I want to try it!
        https://fixthephoto.com/online-photoshop-editor.html

Comment

So why not go to courses? I somehow fell into a free lesson, it was exciting, although the presence of other people was distracting. So if you go to study, try to get an individual lesson
          compare of cutting machines

Comment

I am quite new to pyrography but I am really enjoying it, I currently have a Peter Childs machine but I am considering buying a Burnmaster, what would you guys/girls advise?

Comment

Originally posted by Scoffy View Post
              I am quite new to pyrography but I am really enjoying it, I currently have a Peter Childs machine but I am considering buying a Burnmaster, what would you guys/girls advise?
              I assume you are in the States as the Burnmaster seems not to be easily available over here ? appears to be quite an expensive machine but it depends on your level of skill and how much you are going to use it. I have a Peter Childs as a demo and backup machine but use an Antex Firewriter with a splitter and two pens. The pens are much nicer to use then the Childs, more comfortable in the hand with a stop on the end so you don't accidentally get to close to the hot blades. They have a much easier system for changing the nibs too.

Love to see some of your work.

Good luck making your choice.

Mo.XX
              Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
              Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
              www.bodrighy.co.uk
              https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Thank you for your response MornieG, I am in Lincolnshire UK. I have now purchased a Burnmaster, I got it from Classic Hand Tools here in the UK. I had a little play with it yesterday and it seemed fine, the heat retention seems better than the Peter Childs machine but I will know more when I have used it for a while. I will put a post of my findings if anyone would be interested.

I don't think you would be impressed with my work so far, but when I get better I will post some pictures.

Comment

Thank you for your response MornieG, I am in Lincolnshire UK. I have now purchased a Burnmaster, I got it from Classic Hand Tools here in the UK. I had a little play with it yesterday and it seemed fine, the heat retention seems better than the Peter Childs machine but I will know more when I have used it for a while. I will put a post of my findings if anyone would be interested.

I don't think you would be impressed with my work so far, but when I get better I will post some pictures.
                  Good, it did seem like a nice machine. I only use my pyro machine for outlining designs and some texturing I'm not a pyrographer as such with no interest to do it myself but am so impressed by those that do. Si Easton of Wood Tattoos is on here, although I think he is too busy to post much these days but he has published some interesting books on the subject.

I'm sure your work is perfectly acceptable and we all post stuff that we may be trying for the first time. We are very kind on here, everyone has to start somewhere so don't be shy in letting us see what you are up to.

Good luck with it.

Mo.XX
                  Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                  Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                  www.bodrighy.co.uk

Comment

We don’t judge here, we’ve all been beginners or looking to improve at some point so never hold back from posting snaps.
                    It’s not about us being impressed, its about you getting feedback which is more important.

Dave.

Comment

Hi again all, I first tried using some carbon paper to trace my images, that was a mistake as it was impossible to erase it afterwards, I bought some 'Frisk graphite paper' but The tracing was so faint I could not see it, so I sent that back to Amazon and got some other unbranded graphite paper, which is OK but really difficult to erase, can anyone point me to a better brand please?

Comment

Hi Scoffy.

I agree graphite paper can be difficult to see unless you are tracing onto a very light and unfigured wood. I have used carbon paper but just to outline so you burn over it but usually just draw my designs in 2B pencil straight onto the piece.

Depending how large your design is you could try and effectively make up your own graphite paper as we used to do in school ( probably before your time LO ) You draw your design in ink on tracing paper, turn it over and rub over the back of the design with a soft pencil, 3B for example making sure it's dense enough over the lines. Turn back over and trace right side up, graphite side down, onto the piece. You have control over the density of the graphite to make it easier to see than the stuff you buy.

Hope that works for you.

Mo.XX
                        Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                        www.bodrighy.co.uk

Comment

Good morning,
                          Well I have tried that which you suggested Mo, rubbing a soft pencil on the back, it was a little faint but worked fine, so thank you for that. I have used the Burnmaster machine a bit now, it is fine for most things but I prefer the Peter Childs machine for the more detailed work.

I have a couple of pictures of some of my work that I will post (when I work out how to do it ) in the next couple of days and would very much appreciate any feedback or advice on how to improve.

Best Wishes

Harry

Comment

Great Harry. Look forward to seeing some of your work.

Mo.XX
                            Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                            www.bodrighy.co.uk

Comment

Basic tools are similar looking to soldering tool you can even do some work with soldering tool, however I suggest you to buy a simple woodburning kit for starters with different pins as it doesn't cost a lot. You can check my website for more pyrography guides: https://fire2art.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X