Pyrography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pyrography

After looking at some of the works of art, on a lot of different threads,I fancy having a go at pyrography.
    Am I being thick or are pyrography machines a similar design to a soldering iron???
    I ask because I'm not sure that I have the artistic flair or the patience to actually get to grips with it and I don't fancy spending a small fortune to then not use it, and having looked on the bay there are some quite cheap machines that look worth a go for starters.
    Advice gladly received.
    WWW.martinsturnedgifts.com

"Everyone has a photographic memory,it's just that some people don't have any film...."

A very basic pyro tool is like a soldering iron and not a lot of use for much other than burning your name. A decent tol is expensive. It uses a wire point that can be shaped, comes in different thicknesses etc and the heat can be controlled. This is one of the better ones. I am sure that Scorch or Woodtatoos can give far better adice but my experience (little that it is) is that using the cheap versions can put you off. If you can borrow a decent one to give it a go I would do so first.

pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

I bought one of the cheap tools recently and I agree with Pete. As soon as it arrived in the post I became aware, through some friends, what the 'real' pyrography equipment looked like (and how much it costs).
      On using my cheap (£27) set I found that even with a range of attachments the options were limited. Creating simple lettering was straightforward and marking runes was very effective but beyond that things became tricky. One neat little extra technique I hit on was to use a fine attachment to follow the and extend grain patterns around knot holes. I suspect that with further practice other ideas will come but having now seen the more expensive kit I think that this is the way I'll go once I've saved the pennies.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 'real' pyrography set?

Stickcraft
      Stickcraft
      A less than serious account of a new hobby www.stickcraft.co.uk

Comment

We started with a £25 soldering iron job from Amazon (think it was made by Wells) but it gets very hot and you have to hold it quite a way from the tip which makes anything detailed quite difficult. On the advice of the more experienced pyrographers on here we got a Peter Child machine and haven't looked back.

You get various nibs from various thickness of wire and can make your own as well so very flexible. Also because the heat is restricted to the wire point you can hold it just like a pencil (albeit a bit thicker) so can produce some very detailed work.

Wouldn't use anything else now.
        David & Catherine

Comment

Thanks for the link to the Peter Child machine, it's more reasonably priced than other I've seen and you certainly produce some great work with it!
          Stickcraft

Comment

I'm not a bit surprised you can't get on with a solid-point - I have a machine like that too, and they're completely useless, in my opinion.

They're just glorified soldering-irons, and I don't know how anyone ever gets any decent results with them at all - I absolutely cannot use mine with any degree of accuracy! Your hand is so far from the tip that it's hit & miss as to whether it goes anywhere near where you wanted it, there's no temperature control so you're usually scorching everything with too much heat, and the handle gets hot & burns you too.

Can you tell yet that I can't get on with them either?
            As you can read all about in my wibble here :
            http://www.scorchpyro.co.uk/Techniques.html
            http://www.scorchpyro.co.uk/Chat.html
            I have a wire-tip Peter Childs machine, which looks like this :
            http://www.peterchild.co.uk/pyroinfo/pylist.htm
            http://www.peterchild.co.uk/pyroinfo/py2.htm
            and it IS just like a pen, with your hand at about that distance fom the tip. And it has temperature control, you make your own point out of a choice of wire thicknesses, and it never gets hot in your hand. Smooth and even speed is the way to beat the blotches, and the reverse of a scalpel blade the way to gently scrape them out if they happen anyway!

That's the only reason why I can do the fine work that I love to do - it's just impossible for me with a solid-point iron. I know that some people can do fancy work that way, but for the life of me I can't see how they do it...
            Cheers,
            Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
            Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Pyrography can become a very addictive hobby so I hope you enjoy taking it up! I only really started doing it regularly back in 2007... and look at where I am now!

I would agree with the Peter Childs recommendation, as they are the best UK machine. I also now have a Razertip machine from the States... they make a range of transformer units with 100s of specially-designed pens and tips for all sorts of techniques and marks. I prefer hot wire machines in exactly the same way that Scorch does... I can't get the same quality of line etc from solid points.

If you do take it up, Scorch's website is a great place to start... I remember browsing it for information on machines when I was starting out. You may also be interested in checking out a new book called "Woodburning with Style"... enough of the shameless self-promotion!!!!

You'll find loads of examples of pyro work here on the Forum and plenty of people willing to give advice as you start out!

All the best,

Si.
              Wood Tattoos
              Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
              Facebook
              Flickr
              Twitter

Comment

Hi Stickcraft
                I agree with Scorch and Mr Wood Tattoo that the Peter Child machine is a good one. However, there is another, which I use 75% of the time, and that is a Davan machine. Unfortunately the guy is not on the Internet and therefore doesn't have a website. He is a retired engineer who makes them in his own workshop. They have been designed by a pyrographer (a very good one) and are around £70. There are two wire-point pens, with a toggle switch between the two and a very fine temperature control. It's a great little machine and I can thoroughly recommend it.

BTW the other 25% of my burning is done with the Peter Child and/or my Razortip.

Let me know if you need further information and I can give you contact details.

Regards

Lesley
                Lesley
                Wydon Crafts www.wydon.co.uk
                Bedfordshire

Comment

Heya, Lesley - nice to see you here!

I've heard good things about the Davan & Razortip machines too...
                  Cheers,
                  Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                  Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Hi Lesley,

Contact details would be great. I've already bought a basic wire pyro kit but am a great believer in getting the best tools and am interested in the comparison.
                    Stickcraft

Comment

I can send anybody some information re the Davan machine, but I'm not too sure about attaching stuff here. So please feel free to email me - [email protected] - so that I can attach it to a reply to you.
                      Lesley
                      Wydon Crafts www.wydon.co.uk
                      Bedfordshire

Comment

Hi all
                        New to the forum but felt I should also say the Davan is an excellent piece of equipment. I was recommended to get the Davan by other pyrographers and the chap making/selling them is a real gent and very friendly/helpful on the phone. I believe he makes them to order and I got mine 2 days after phoning him and ordering one. BTW the Peter Child pens fit the Davan machine also but you are sent two pens anyway.
                        Cheers
                        Steve

Comment

Welcome Steve. This guy does some lovely work so keep your eyes open for him

Pete
                          "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                          Facebook

Website

Comment

Hi Steve, I too am new here. Would you please give me the details of the Davan manufacturer? I am very interested in this machine.
                            Regards,

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by raynich2 View Post
                              Hi Steve, I too am new here. Would you please give me the details of the Davan manufacturer? I am very interested in this machine.
                              Regards,

Ray
                              Steve may not answer I'm afraid, the thread is from 2010, Steves last post was 2011.

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                              X