Beech is so much easier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beech is so much easier

I collected my latest consignment of plaques yesterday and im now halfway through my first sign using beech.... Wow what a difference !

Pyrography is even more of a pleasure now, my work is now so much neater, its quicker to work with too,

im finding the heat in the pen more subtle to control with beech , im needing a lower heat setting and the pen seems to loose heat quicker too. i was using setting 6 or 7 on my peter child with oak but im down to 4 or 5 with the beech or lower for the finer areas. shading is much easier on the beech too

no more pesky oak for me

cheers

I like working on beech too.
    I'm new to Peter Child machine aswell. I haven't used heat above 4 yet - I'm almost afraid too - it's taking me time to get used to the heat settings!! lol
    My house name plaque i posted the other day was a beech plaque
    http://www.samigailsgifts.co.uk/
    Handmade personalised gifts for all occasions created by the art of pyrography
    My Facebook

Comment

Hi Samigail

Your sign is super, where do you get your plaques from and what finish do you use? Im getting mine from a local woodyard who cut, edge and sand them for me in rectangular shapes and its working out at £5 each for a 9 x 14 inch plaque. I havent asked them yet if they can cut rounded shapes like yours, Im aware that they normally work with much larger quantitys and I dont want to ask to much, they are a great bunch of guys and they are quite interested in my work so maybe ill enquire on my next visit.

Im finding the temperature is a little tricky to master too, as an experiment i got a scrap piece of wood and turned my dial to 1 and shaded a 1 cm square and wrote a 1 next to it and did the same with 2, 3 and so on just to see the effect really, i have done this with the oak and the beech and there is quite a difference.

Im finding that the temperature fluctuates quite a lot as the heat transfers from the pen to the wood, if i am doing dark shaded areas ( like in lettering) i find it works to start burning where you want it dark and move to the edge ( where you want a crisp line) as the tip looses heat to avoid the dreaded black blob. it seems to work to blow on the tip to cool it a little too. I wonder if im still using a to higher setting! I find that if i do use a lower setting the tip gets to cool to get a dark burn where i want it and i do want a deep dark burn to avoid the UV effecting it as much as possible. I do turn it up higher for the middle shaded areas of letters and down for the edges, How do you do yours?

I havent tried any pictures as yet and I expect I`ll need to master the temperature control a little better before I make a proper pigs ear of it!

Have you sold any of your pyrography as yet? Ive done about 6 house signs and I have only given them away so far.

I think you have been pyro-ing a bit longer than me but its really nice to talk to somebody at a similar stage.

Cheers
      N

Comment

HI nancy

that's a top idea about the squares of shading with the number of temp next to them - I'm going to go make a cup of tea and then do that I think handy to keep along side me when i'm working.

I'm still only a beginner - I've been doing it just about 1.5yrs, I started with a solid point and I feel abit like the Peter Child's is so different (in a really good way) I'm starting learning all over again - right down to holding the pen. The solid point was so chunky and cumbersome!

The first item I made with my new machine is here http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...466#post202466

Thankfully I have sold some of my stuff. I decided to try and turn it into a business and go to school and church fairs etc. I haven't been to a proper 'craft' fair yet - I haven't had the confidence!

The varnish I've been putting on my house signs is yacht varnish as it's got uv inhibiters
        I mainly get my wood from steve at craftshapes - he's on this forum too. Sometimes I use dalescraft for the sycamore wood - that's soooo lovely to burn on, and sometimes ebay too.
        Last edited by samigail; 12-04-2009, 11:22 AM. Reason: adding in about the varnish!
        My Facebook

Comment

Hi Samigail

I started with a solid point too - i bought the Antex Pyro Master off Ebay. it was fine for my first few practice pieces but as soon as i bought my first batch or "proper" wood ( oak) i soon discovered it really wasnt up to the job. by that time i realised i was hooked and went ahead and ordered the peter child- Looking back - if i had realised that beech was much easier to work with i might have been content with the solid point for considerably longer - im delighted with the PC, there really is no comparrison -

Where do you get your Blanks from Sami?

N

Comment

Opps Sorry Sami

I see you answered my Qustion about your supplier of blanks - sorry

Comment

Mainly I get the blanks from Steve at craftshapes.co.uk, (he's on this forum too)

Also dalescraft - for the sycamore, which I find really lovely to work on,

lastly, ebay is occasionally a source - I found some rocking horses shapes last summer which I needed for my daughters birthday cake... thinking of which I might post a pic of that in the food section...
              My Facebook

Comment

Love your website SamiGail - your work is really cute.

are you getting much work from your site?

Comment

some, it needs to increase though lol
                  this website has only been going 1.5 months so I'm pleased with progress so far, I've been picked up my google and get quite a lot of google searches for my items - I'm getting quite addicted to studying the google analytics to see how people have found my site!
                  My Facebook

Comment

Im please your site is working for you - they do take a little time to pick up dont they - i set up one for the company i used to work for and I agree the analysis is addictive - i belive the trick is to keep updating it.

a website is something i might consider for the future - for now im just interested to see what comes next after i have given away my last sign for free - i have vowed no more freebies so ill probably get nothing more !!!

Comment

Good to see people enjoying their pyrography! I agree that beech is a fantastic surface to work on, and also that the Peter Child is the best pyro machine going. With regards to temperature, don't be afraid to experiment with what you can do. I've only been pyro'ing regularly for just over 2 years but it is definitely an addictive hobby!

Si.
                      Wood Tattoos
                      Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                      Facebook
                      Flickr
                      Twitter

Comment

Hello Si

your website is great - I love your work

N

Comment

Glad you're finding beech easier.

You'll find that you can use that "fading away" of the heat to your advantage, when you want to make something look "round".
                          Cheers,
                          Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                          Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Hi Scorch

I just Saw the full size picture of the piece of work use on here as your avatar - the one with the dragon on the artists pallet - its amazing... where do you get your inspiration and ideas ?

N

Comment

Hiya, Nancy!

Thanks for the kind words - always much appreciated.

I draw some of my designs myself - mainly the knotwork and leaves, as I can't draw for toffee. Others are put together using clipart, designs from sourcebooks, and the Lora Irish design library that my sister and brother bought me a couple of years ago. Plus some are re-drawings of random internet images from here & there - the map dragon is based on an image someone sent me once, no clue where it originated!
                              Cheers,
                              Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                              Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Working...
                              X