A question for the pyrographers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the pyrographers

I've been looking at the Peter Child's kit and got to wondering, does the shape of the tool hinder your view of what you are doing at all, and if so, are there different tools or wires that will counteract this problem? When (if!) I ever manage to buy one of these, I would need to be able to do fine detail so any advice would be welcome.
    Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Which part of the tool are you concerned about blocking your view? The base unit is attached to the pen by an electric flex, so it's no different to writing with a chunky pen or similar. Drop me a line if I can help any further.

Si.
    Wood Tattoos
    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Twitter

Comment

Si, I mean the bit that conducts the heat (sorry, forgot the correct term!) I glanced at something as I was browsing that referred to the tip as being 'likely to block your view' which made me think! I can't for the life of me remember where I read it, but I'm wondering if it was referring to the solid points rather than the wire tips as they look quite bulky to me? If the heat tool is similar to holding a pencil I'll be happy as I love drawing in detail and especially in graphite or sepia. Thanks for your reply.
      Gail x

Comment

I think it is just a case of practice with them. I have a really chunky and cumbersome pen, but it was my 1st go and I am getting used to it! I will buy something better at a later date.

I have seen some that are very fine wires but you seem to have to hold the "pen" much higher up!!

You can generally use them at an angle like you would a normal pen too, so your view is not too restricted.
        Rach

Facebook
        Website
        Blog
        Folksy

Comment

I use a Peter Childs machine which has a very slim pen and it does not obstruct your view at all. Some more bulky kits can be awkward but these tend to be the ones which do not have a separate base unit. The base unit means that all of the actual heating mechanism does not need to be contained in the pen, making the pen lighter, smaller and easier to use.

Hope this helps,

Si.
          Wood Tattoos
          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
          Facebook
          Flickr
          Twitter

Comment

Thanks Si, it helps a lot! I would definitely go for the Peter Childs unit even though it's quite pricey. I think if I tried first on a cheaper, bulkier one then it might put me off for life, lol. I could always sell it on if it didn't work out, but I'm fairly confident it will. You may have to wear a pair of earplugs though when I do get one, cause' I'll be yelling for help, lol.
            Gail x

Comment

Rach, I didn't realise you used one too, but thank you for replying - any help is welcome!
              Gail x

Comment

No problem, glad to be of use. Feel free to shout as much as you like when you get up and running... you are picking the best pyro machine in my opinion. And just think, there will be a handy Wood Tattoos book out sometime in the future to help you get to grips with the basic techniques...
                Wood Tattoos
                Facebook
                Flickr
                Twitter

Comment

Ooooh...are you writing a book then Si?
                  Gail x

Comment

Yup! Off to write another few chapters in a minute when I've caught up with the Forum Christmas festivities...
                    Wood Tattoos
                    Facebook
                    Flickr
                    Twitter

Comment

Oooh do give me a shout when it is finished.!!! I would be interested!!
                      Rach

Facebook
                      Website
                      Blog
                      Folksy

Comment

new here!!!

hi all,new here ooh its so nice to find somewhere that talks about pokerwork.....its taken me forever to find this site.....sorry rambleing....
                        well my name is izzy im 45...shhh dont tell no one ....iv got 7 kids ...yip [most of which are grown up only got 3 young ish ones you read it right 7.....and iv been burning now for about 10 years love to join in with your chats ...if thats ok..love izzy

Comment

Hi Izzy, Pokerwork? I've never heard it called that before, but then I'd never heard of pyrography either until a couple of years back.
                          Gail x

Comment

Originally posted by onlyme View Post
                            Hi Izzy, Pokerwork? I've never heard it called that before, but then I'd never heard of pyrography either until a couple of years back.
                            hehe!!!easy'r to spell then pyrograghy!!!! love izzy

Comment

is it poker work because years ago designs were burnt into wood, leather etc with hot irons drawn from the fire, like branding pokers

Comment

Working...
                              X