nearly lost my wood supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nearly lost my wood supply

I have had the good fortune of being allowed to collect timber from a local woodland, anything that comes down in the wind and a few trees we have polled to grow staves to make hiking poles. in return I have been passing on some knowledge of woodsmanship and coppicing, I got a phone call this morning from a very irate land owner saying he's locking the gates from now on, I've been round there and he showed me why he was so upset. some so and so has almost hacked down 2 lovely holly trees and a yew and stripped most of the greenery, fortunately I have smoothed thing over with him as he knows I wouldn't even take more than a couple of fronds off the same branch let alone cut down a perfectly good tree. I can under stand him being mad about it, I am and it's not even my woodland

Sounds like someone's been trying to make a quick buck with that little lot! I can't stand thieves, let alone destructive ones.
    Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

I feel sad for him. Takes a long time to grow, to go onto someones private property and ruin what they cherish, so close to christmas to. There are a lot of truly Horrible people in this world. Een worse when the land is used for a good purpose, and they just wanted to cut the tree for thrill or whatever they do
      http://www.justgiving.com/renata-harris (1/2 marathons for World Society for the Protection of Animals)
      http://flashsparkle.blogspot.com Vegan cookery

Comment

I am a great lover of trees and I can't believe that anyone would butcher them like that. I am not really so nieve not to believe you but words cannot express my feelings about it. I have personally planted wild flowers like primroses, bluebells, snowdrops and cowslips in our woods together with a few daffs and always wait expectantly each spring for them to grow and each year we get a few more than last. Vandals regularly break branches off trees especially when collecting conkers or holly as you have said.
        Carol
        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Unfortunately that's the way it goes, I used to live '...down south' - Bracknell to be precise - close to Crown Estates woodland, every Christmas huge firs - 25/35 ft would be felled by tresspassers - just for 5 feet of free Christmas tree from the very top.

Chris.

Comment

My garden backs on to woods and common land. There are pics in my album. Its my magical place and I spend many hours walking through them with the dog. Most of the damage gets done late at night so I never see or hear anything.
            Carol
            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Working...
            X