Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pyrography Ink??

Hi

I have been experimenting with Pyrography and was wondering about some of the ones I have seen with colour!! They look amazing, but wondered if it was special ink and how to prevent "bleeding"??

Thanks

This was my 2nd project at pyrography, so I am brand new to it!

Rach

Facebook
    Website
    Blog
    Folksy

I remember watching someone some years ago doing geometric designs and what he did was score along the dividing lines and so the ink would only go up to that scored edge and not bleed into the next section/colour. Not sure if this is the right way to do it but it seemed to work for him.
    Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Ah... it's all in what you use. I think. Colour does tend to stay wthin the burned lines, as long as it isn't too sloppy, and doesn't penetrate the wood too deeply. If it starts to soak in, it can bleed beyond the pyro'd lines.

I don't use coloured pens or inks, but work with acrylics, watered as necessary. As long as I don't let it all get too wet, it works for me, and can be finished with wax or varnish.

You can also add colour with coloured pencils, for a "sketch" look, but beware - they can smudge when you finish them (wax or varnish) if you're not careful and gentle.
      Cheers,
      Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
      Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Good tips from Scorch and good timing for this thread as well as I was shopping around for some coloured inks or similar... I think I've already got some acrylic paint around so I may just give them a go instead!

Si.
        Wood Tattoos
        Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
        Facebook
        Flickr
        Twitter

Comment

Happy to help!

You'll be astounded by how little paint you need - you don't need to really load the brush up or anything, and if you do, it'll only go everywhere.
          Try it out on some scrap, and see what you think...
          Cheers,
          Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
          Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Thanks Scorch!!

Will maybe have a go at that when I get round to actually doing any more !!

I so busy with different things right now, I really should set a diary for doing stuff!!!
            Rach

Facebook
            Website
            Blog
            Folksy

Comment

Acrylics work well, however as a quick and easy alternative, try brush tipped markers. You can even blend the colours together.
              Theyre also a lot less effort in terms of cleaning afterwards with paint and overall less time consuming.

Hope that helps

Nader

Comment

Working...
              X