Wood for furniture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood for furniture

I am really struggling to source hardwood to make a children's table and chair set what I am looking for is 2 inch square Beech or Ash for the legs and 3/4 x 3inch planks for the rest. I have tried all local timber merchants, even hardwood spe******ts with no luck. Any ideas if there are internet suppliers of this kind of thing?
    http://www.littlenipperswoodcrafts.co.uk/

Reply sent - from only a few junctions up the M6....

Chris.

Comment

I'm astounded - I'd have thought that any local timber merchant would have that! Not sure about the net, though, as the postage would be prohibitively expensive.
      Cheers,
      Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
      Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

More of the same

I agree.

That sort of spec timber should be easily available at a timber merchant, we have one a couple of miles away from us and I am sure they sell it.

Richard

P.S. Buying it over the net , ebay for example, might be a goer.

You often see auctions for larger amounts of timber are marked "for pick up only", meaning of course you have to go and pick it up, that may be a possibility for you?
        For DIY gilding and antique finishes to gold leaf.
        For the esoteric & unusual in bookbinding

Comment

Have you tried a major hardwood retailer, they may have some returns where the material might suffice.
          Wood crafting is a lost art, which can seen in the timeless beauty of solid oak furniture

Comment

I too am very surprised, beech and ash are by no means exotic timber and they are fairly standard sizes, one of my local suppliers will even size and trim for a small fee. I know the local suppliers but sorry not a lot of help for you

Comment

Working...
            X