Copyright & licences on pictures & photos for pyrography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright & licences on pictures & photos for pyrography

Hi I have just got into pyrography and am loving it. I trace the picture onto the wood and then make the design. However, I am unsure about the best sites to get photos and pictures from. Can any pyrographers out there advise me on good sources? I would like to do some famous people but daren't use any of their pictures at the moment. What would be the best sources for photos of this sort and just normal photos?

Thanks for any information.

G

Hello G, and welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can't advise re the question of pictures/designs for your work, but be patient and if and when Mo - a superb pyrographer (look up Bodrighy Wood), and Dave - our resident top quality paper cutter (look up Down the Dale Papercuts) see your query you are likely to get very useful information from them.

We're not the busiest forum around but we are very friendly, so please be patient - most of the regular posters visit at least once a day.

Linda

Comment

Hi, welcome to the forum. This point applies to all artwork. You will probably find that photos of famous people will be covered by copyright of the photographer or their agency etc and would need permission from the copyright owner or a “ Model release” which wouldn’t be free of charge.
      Some famous people are in the public domain, generally if the copyright has expired over 70 years ago.
      You can try searching by putting “ commons” after their name. This usually gives you links to public domain sites and licenses, wiki or Flikr commons for example. Don’t get drawn into producing “ Fan art”, regardless of what you read it is still someones image and it plays on the good nature of the copyright holder not to take action, not the legal right of an artist to use it as a “ homage”.
      There are sites where you can use photos freely where the copyright has been relinquished, Pexels, Unsplash, Pixabay which are most commonly used for artists references.
      You will see these type of images everywhere on Pinterest, FB etc....doesn’t mean anyone has permission legally to do it, just means they haven't received a “Cease and desist” letter......yet. Have a look at the below link for an overview.
      https://www.gov.uk/copyright

Dave.

Comment

Thank you Craftdancer2.

I'm hoping to get into a community of pyrographers and learn lots of things. This issue is quite key to what I do so I hope someone will come back to me. How many are in this forum?

G

Comment

Hi 3D Dave

Thanks for that. I actually looked at Pixabay but they say in their rules that although "All content on Pixabay can be used for free for commercial and noncommercial use across print and digital..."

They also say - "Don't sell unaltered copies of an image. e.g. sell an exact copy of a stock photo as a poster, print or on a physical product". So I think my products would come under the latter as a "physical product".

Can I just ask - if I went onto a site and signed up with a monthly fee - it's ok to use those photos from that site isn't it. I would prefer not to do this though.

I will look at the links you suggest. Thank you for that.

Comment

Again, it would depend on what they stipulate for use under their licenses. They might only allow it to be reproduced as a photo, might not allow it to be the main part of the image, only as an “ inclusion“, always worth checking their T &C’s first because you are dealing with copyright photos with an agreement attached.

The main crux of Pixabays license is that you can’t sell the “unadulterated” image which upon reading it I take to mean you cannot sell it as the published photograph because that has been given free as an artistic resource plus you cannot show the subject in a bad light or use it to endorse a product. Many art groups I’m in or admin on with artists in all use photographs from Pixabay and people globally reproduce them by drawing or painting them. Pyro is no different to paint, graphite or any other medium, the image if its a portrait still has to be a faithful reproduction of the photo or it may cause offence to the subject. You won’t find famous people or trademarks on there generally. There are contact links to the photographers on there usually, if you are still unsure, just ask the photographer, it’s their image. You can register yourself on Pixabay that gives you access to their forum, ask the question, the community are mostly photographers, they will tell you ( hopefully 🤞🏻😁) what I understand it to be too.

Not many visit here at one go, just “Passing trade” these days (blame FB and it’s generally vague and varied group advice that everyone seems to like following these days instead 🙄) but luckily in this instance, a few of the regulars amongst us use images for artwork from elsewhere and are also pyrographers too and have been for many years so have come across most of the pitfalls, win, win..

Dave.
            Last edited by 3dDave; 03-07-2020, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Thank you 3dDave for all your information.

I'll go through it and look at other sites and see what they say but i am guessing most pyrographers make up their own designs then? Trouble is I can't draw so would need something to go from. Otherwise I'd just burn freehand.

Really glad I found this site. Loads of great information. Thanks to you all.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyhoundlady View Post
                Thank you 3dDave for all your information.

I'll go through it and look at other sites and see what they say but i am guessing most pyrographers make up their own designs then? Trouble is I can't draw so would need something to go from. Otherwise I'd just burn freehand.

Really glad I found this site. Loads of great information. Thanks to you all.
                At least one of the designers that I know and use for papercutting work that also allows Pyro artists to use the designs for burning, look on Etsy at Wildchild designs, quite gothic designs, you just buy and download the commercial license for use, it’s quite a simple agreement. You get the design and the license to print and file, no production limits, she has 100’s. Some designers only allow paper cutting but she is very accomodating.
                if you post any pics on social media you always credit the designer in the text.
                Any problems, shout out.

Dave.

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                  X