Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bren
    replied
    Thanks for everyone's comments. I did buy a Janome but chose the wrong company to buy from! Had a query and it was not dealt with at all well (I object to being shouted at by bad mannered people). However, the machine itself seems to be OK.
    I'd love one that does embroidery but can't afford one at the moment.

Bren

Leave a comment:

• toots
    replied
    I see from your post that you decided to go with Janome, they are excellent machines......I do have a vested interest, I used to work for them as a demonstrator years ago. I had a Bernina machine but bought a Janome and I have never regretted it.

I was lucky enough to buy the top of the range machine second hand its a fabulous machine doing both embroidery and ordinary sewing......I hope you enjoy your machine.

By the way Janome now manufacture machines under licence for Bernina as well as several other 'names'.

I bought a new Bernina some years ago, it was awful, I soon sold it and went back to my Janome..............

Anyone who is looking for a new machine I would recommend that you always buy one that does a little more than you think you will use. Its a common mistake to say 'oh I only want it to do so and so' and then after a few months realise that you really wanted more stitches. Always look for one that does a one step button hole...............

Leave a comment:

• sewtobed
    replied
    I can't make any recommendations as I have a Brother and I'm happy with mine!!

After weeks of watching ebay I've managed to buy a little overlocker reasonably priced

Leave a comment:

• vickygorry
    replied
    Just a thought, but do you belong to freecycle? (can't post url, but google it) At least one sewing machine a month on Fenland (my local freecycle). Free - the aim of freecycle being to keep stuff out of landfill...

Leave a comment:

• vickygorry
    replied
    I love my Janome, bought it a quilt show, think I got a good price - usually good deals at shows if there are any coming up near you?

Leave a comment:

• Bren
    replied
    Hi Hopej
    Thanks for that - I've made up my mind to get a Janome and will probably get it from those suppliers as they seem to have a good reputation and of course free delivery is a great help. I might order an overlocker first and then get a new machine later.

Bren

Leave a comment:

• Hopej
    replied
    Hi Bren,

I have a Janome, and touch wood have had no problems with it so far! Most people I spoke to about it when I was looking to buy a machine said that Janome was there favourite.

I got mine from Coopers - http://www.sewingmachinediscount.co.uk they have some really good deals, and it was delivered free, the next day!

hth

Leave a comment:

• Bren
    replied
    Thanks for that, I will go and look at that thread. I am tempted to try a Janome anyway - will investigate!

I'd like an overlocker too but that will have to wait

Bren

Leave a comment:

• FireHorseTextiles
    replied
    Previous Thread Might Be Useful

Hi Bren

You may find a thread of page 2 of this forum useful, called 'Which Sewing Machine'. Sorry, I can't post links yet!

I think, from memory, that most people preferred Janomes or Berninas.

I, like you, am stuck with a Brother. Can't wait to get rid of it...!

Leave a comment:

• Bren
    started a topic Please help recommend a sewing machine

Please help recommend a sewing machine

I've been using a "basic" Brother but do seem to get a lot of thread breakage, despite adjusting tension and now I want to buy a new machine.
    I can't afford an all singing, all dancing one, so am happy to just go with something reliable, that can cope with both heavy and fine fabric, has a top loading bobbin and costs in the region of £250. I would love one that does embroidery but those computerised ones are out of my price range. Any suggestions please?

Bren
Working...
X