Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering Card with Cloth/Journal Cover

Hi folks,
    I'm making a journal and I'm covering some card with cloth for the front and back covers (spine too).
    I've got some nice satiny cloth from a local craft group, and thought I'd try using the gold on the outside and the cream on the inside.
    But I'm not sure what's the best thing to use to stick the material down.
    SatinyFabricsSM.jpg
    Material was part of a bag of free stuff, so I don't know exactly what it is.
    What I need to know is what to use to stick it down?
    I'm wondering about stuff like "Bond A Web" which is activated by ironing it, or a spray adhesive?
    Does anyone know what I should use?
    Does anyone know of a good spray adhesive?
    I've tested the "Bond A Web" and it does work... but it seems to be a bit, well... light, not very strong.
    Which is why I'd also like to test a spray adhesive, but I know nothing about them.
    Help?
    www.FranOnTheEdge.com/crafts

I think I'd go for a spray adhesive but I don't know of any brands
    Lucy Blossom
    Shop and blog: http://www.lucyblossomcrafts.co.uk
    https://www.facebook.com/LucyBlossomCrafts

Comment

There is a stick and spray for fabric but I believe it is a temp/repositionable adhesive meant to hold everything in place for sewing...bonus with this stuff is that it should not mark the fabric or bleed through which a wet adhesive obviously would.
      Whenever I have applied large pieces of fabric to card I have used sticky sheets (sookwang type tape in sheet form ) but it is tricky and you have to get it right first time because it is super sticky and very unforgiving. Once it is on with this stuff, it is on for good

Good Luck with whatever you decide...would love to see pics of the finished article

Comment

Do not spray all over all the fabric but use Gutermann Ht22 on the edges. For satin I would have stitched not glued as a very unforgiving fabric. Also hard to use for your first go, cotton would be better as you get much better edges. Also remember to pad under the fabric with compressed fleece, do not put straight onto the card. I have done a lot of this type of thing but again always use cotton.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
          Do not spray all over all the fabric but use Gutermann Ht22 on the edges. For satin I would have stitched not glued as a very unforgiving fabric. Also hard to use for your first go, cotton would be better as you get much better edges. Also remember to pad under the fabric with compressed fleece, do not put straight onto the card. I have done a lot of this type of thing but again always use cotton.
          I've never used a shiny satin type fabric either... usually cotton of some kind or a rough hessian type material

Comment

I've now tested the spray Adhesive - once by spraying both the card and the fabric and also by sticking the unsprayed fabric to the sprayed card. looking at both before they have dried, I'd think that the spraying of the fabric is NOT a good idea, since I can see discolourations where some of the webs of glue touched the fabric. But not all of it made that sort of damp mark, and it may disappear when it dries... or it may not. So that's why I also tried it with sticking dry fabric to the sprayed card.
            We'll see what happens when it dries.

Comment

Originally posted by Christa View Post
              There is a stick and spray for fabric but I believe it is a temp/repositionable adhesive meant to hold everything in place for sewing...bonus with this stuff is that it should not mark the fabric or bleed through which a wet adhesive obviously would.
              Whenever I have applied large pieces of fabric to card I have used sticky sheets (sookwang type tape in sheet form ) but it is tricky and you have to get it right first time because it is super sticky and very unforgiving. Once it is on with this stuff, it is on for good

Good Luck with whatever you decide...would love to see pics of the finished article
              That temporary adhesive is what the BondAweb sheet adhesive is. But as I'm not going to be washing this book, it won't wash out as it would in clothing.
              What is 'sookwang'?

The spray soaked through on the test piece of fabric as I sprayed it, but as I walked back upstairs, and THEN put another, this time DRY, piece of fabric on the sprayed adhesive on the test card, that had a little time to dry a bit so it didn't soak through the fabric... result! Maybe. But I'll look again when it's dry.

Comment

What is "Gutermann Ht22"? is it a spray? or a tape? or a sheet adhesive? or something else entirely?
                I'm not sure this is satin, I just said it's satin-ish. At Franklin's (a sewing etc shop in my town) when I indicated a fabric that I thought was like the one I had at home, the guy in the shop said it was probably a polyester? I think he said that anyway. Not satin anyway.

I can't sew this fabric to greyboard, impossible to get any needle through the greyboard - not easy on this thinner card and with my arthritis, I'd have problems with just fabric to fabric. So that's why I'm looking into adhesives.

Why must I pad under the fabric? I don't want it soft and springy, I want it stiff, flush and smooth to the card, for a nice firm finish.
                If I had any cotton, I might try that, but I've only got this shiny fabric as a freebie, that and hessian is all I've got. (I might try hessian on another cover, but on this one I wanted to use this stuff.)

Comment

Gutermann HT is a fabric glue. I stitch my covers then insert the card into them, I never stitch through the card, hand finishing the opening edge. Wadding makes it look professional and being compressed is more like a thick interfacing. If you do not want to pad I would still use interfacing first. The corners without this can break through the fabric. The fabric may be polyester but it is still polyester satin

Comment

Gutermann HT is a fabric glue.
                    Oh I see.

I stitch my covers then insert the card into them, I never stitch through the card, hand finishing the opening edge. Wadding makes it look professional and being compressed is more like a thick interfacing. If you do not want to pad I would still use interfacing first. The corners without this can break through the fabric. The fabric may be polyester but it is still polyester satin
                    Interfacing? I see. I had looked at interfacing but dismissed it as not the thing I needed. I'll look again, I don't want corners to break through.
                    Thanks for your help.

Um... do you have any pictures of your covers?

Comment

http://www.caroleecrafts.com/shop/jo...ags/notebooks/

Comment

Working...
                      X