Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying fabric from overseas?

Hello!
    i have been searching for fabrics endlessly and have come to the conclusion that sadly I may need to buy from overseas to get what I want wholesale. Have any of you bought from overseas and if so what was your experience? Are there any pitfalls I should be looking out for?
    would truly appreciate any advice
    thanking you in advance xxxxx

Can you explain exactly what you are looking for. You never know, an awful lot of us use fabric and may have seen just what you are looking for.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Yes, let us know what you're looking for ... there is SO much fabric in the UK ...and SO many fabric mills where you may be able to buy wholesale from.

I have bought overseas before ... like with everything, you just need to make sure it's reputable ...the only real negative though is shipping cost.
      nuvonova.com

Comment

The extensive and detailed example I posted regarding the hidden costs of fabric importation is clearly of no interest whatsoever to the OP, so it has been deleted.
        Last edited by eena; 26-02-2014, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Eena has nailed it for you, the problem with importing from overseas are the import duties and amounts involved. Very often you will find you won't know the rate you are being charged for import until after it is imported.

Comment

"Oh I hadn't realised that; you might have just saved me from an expensive mistake - thanks from Ruby Summer"

Cuckoo's nests, anyone?

Comment

You always know what the duty tariff is - look it up - https://www.gov.uk/finding-commodity-codes. the commodity codes stay the same worldwide.
              The VAT stays the same
              The only variable is the charge put on top by the shipping company for clearing customs.
              NB if you buy more than a few metres for your business while visiting a foreign country then duty and VAT will be due on your return as you import them. Red channel at the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by eena View Post
                "Oh I hadn't realised that; you might have just saved me from an expensive mistake - thanks from Ruby Summer"

Cuckoo's nests, anyone?
                Hmmm the OP hasn't been on the forum since before you posted so not sure why you're taking a pop at them. This week has been half term week - it's just possible she has children and has other priorities this week.
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Is that a personal or an official post nattynetty? You really should make clear whether your comments are made as a moderator or as an individual.

Comment

Originally posted by Pearlescence View Post
                    Is that a personal or an official post nattynetty? You really should make clear whether your comments are made as a moderator or as an individual.
                    Why???????
                    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Baiting Moderators is a punnishable offence and should it happen again I will deal with it fully in accordance with the Forum Rules. Do you wish me to quote them here?.
                      Carol

Comment

I thought Ruby Summer's question was entirely reasonable and I understood all the replies until I got to #6. Ho hum...

Comment

Originally posted by MustardS View Post
                          I thought Ruby Summer's question was entirely reasonable and I understood all the replies until I got to #6. Ho hum...
                          No. I was not clued in to that one either. Don't worry about it. Have you found any yet?
                          Carol

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                            Hmmm the OP hasn't been on the forum since before you posted so not sure why you're taking a pop at them.
                            I am perfectly well aware of when the OP last appeared to have visited this site. That is precisely why I posted as I did.

I am 'taking a pop' (whatever that means) at no-one and nothing.

I am merely wondering - somewhat obliquely, I will grant you - why a member would make the effort to post a seemingly-legitimate question, but never bother returning to read any of the helpful answers, still less to say a brief word of thanks. One presumes they wanted an answer to the question in the first place, otherwise, why was it posted?

Hospital admission or domestic/family emergency notwithstanding, of course, I question whether the OP is a real person - or some sort of 'bot'?

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                            This week has been half term week - it's just possible she has children and has other priorities this week.
                            And the occurrence of half-term holidays - now well over - and the (theorised) presence or absence of children has precisely what to do with any of this?

It is extremely disheartening to spend time and make the effort to provide extensive help and information, sharing experience and hard-earned knowledge, in response to what seems like a genuine query, for no apparent purpose whatsoever.

This seems to be happening increasingly often across the forum. There are any number of threads which contain no dialogue whatsoever - merely a demand for information followed by several other members generously providing it over a period of days or even weeks. Not even so much as a remark by the member who started the thread, no indication whether or not they have read the answers, what they thought of them and what use they are going to make of them.

Are these posters real people? Or are they, like the inhabitants of a cuckoo's nest, non-existent except in their own imagination?
                            Last edited by eena; 26-02-2014, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the 'cuckoo's nest' explanation; I've been mulling that over for a few days!

Comment

Working...
                              X