Machine Sewing with Wadding....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine Sewing with Wadding....

.....I found some wadding the other day when tidying, so I thought I'd use it. I'm attempting tea cosies.....

The wadding is half an inch thick, not too dense. I'm wondering about machine sewing with it. Oh yes, and it's creased up from folding.

Any tips on sewing and uncreasing it, please?

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

I just sew it like ordinary fabric Jules.....

Not much help I know!
    Blog Website Flickr

Comment

It is help...

Originally posted by JBJB View Post
      I just sew it like ordinary fabric Jules.....

Not much help I know!

It is help, it's loads of help. I'll just wade right in and go for it then, see how things turn out.

Just wondering how to de-crinkle it now...

Jules
      Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

what about holding it over a pan of boiling water while being very careful of cause
        Vendi..Verdi..Visa...
        I came..I saw..I shopped

Comment

Once it's under fabric, I just iron it.......?!

Maybe I get things made through blind-ignorance!
          Blog Website Flickr

Comment

i use the wadding to make coffee pot covers (and don't bother with the ironing bit ) sometimes i'm finishing the items minutes before setting of for a fair!
            while i knit i think

http://foxyscraftythoughts.blogspot.com

http://thecraftyfox.misi.me.uk

Comment

Hello,

It should iron under a cloth, tea towel or something.

I would iron it first because the darn stuff slips against your fabric and then the edges don`t meet.

I really don`t like using wadding because I don`t like the feel of it on my hands. It gives me the heebie jeebies!!

Walking feet are really useful for sewing with wadding because they cut down on the slipping. They`re quite pricey though.

Good Luck.

Comment

Good Advice...

Originally posted by creativeclare View Post
                Hello,

It should iron under a cloth, tea towel or something.

I would iron it first because the darn stuff slips against your fabric and then the edges don`t meet.

I really don`t like using wadding because I don`t like the feel of it on my hands. It gives me the heebie jeebies!!

Walking feet are really useful for sewing with wadding because they cut down on the slipping. They`re quite pricey though.

Good Luck.

I've jumped in at the deep end. It's worked a treat. I've managed to de-crinkle by using pins to pin it to the fabric, which was slightly stiffened with interfacing. I had thought it was all going to be complicated, but it was fine - I'm nearly finished, just adding the applique.

I don't like the feel of the wadding either, it makes me shudder, but why waste it. Mostly it's sandwiched between two layers of fabric....

I've got a walking foot, but it never crossed my mind to use it (dohhh) I had thought my machine would baulk at the wadding, but it did well. It likes thicker fabrics better than fine.

Thanks for all the help though, it was great. Just a bit of moral support is fab!

Jules
                Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Now get posting pictures of the finished article then!! It will be lovely I have no doubts about that.

Cheers.

Lisa
                  Bowed Over
                  Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                  www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

My mum makes alot of things using wadding and i have noticed that she uses saftey pins over normal pins. I think it helps ever more with the slipping problem, and also if you have to stop the project half way through its easyer to fold away with out sticking yourself !
                    http://twohootscraft.blogspot.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/home.php?ref=home

The owls made me do it.

Comment

Just realised ... I do most of my wadding sewing on my overlocker which happily chomps it's way through most things.

I then use my sewing machine to do the top-stitching when it's already been sandwiched and sewn.

Still at least it worked okay!

PS - Jules ... will you be seeing/speaking to Mark when you're in your MIL's shop? When I ordered my overlocker from him, he said he would "chuck in" a bias-binding foot, which he never did ......
                      Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Worked!

My machine didn't blink at sewing the wadding, which was my biggest worry. Must take a pic of the tea cosy.

JB I'll see one of the lads when I'm in the shop, so I'll talk to them about the bias binding foot. I know where all the feet are anyway......

Jules
                        Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Working...
                        X