Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewing M/C ... Is this ok?

Hi

I wonder if you can help. I currently have a little (tiny) jml sewing genie that really isnt up for the job. So I'm looking at buying a full size machine. Would anyone know if a Brother xl2120 would a) be suitable (general crafter and the odd cushion cover or pair of curtains) and b) is it good value at about £100 - £120 depending on where I get it from.

I cant post a link as I haven't made enough posts yet.

Thanks
    www.redshandcraftshobby.blogspot.com/

Hello,

You can buy a nice little Janome with plenty of stitches and a one step button hole or a Husqvarna Viking huskystar for the same price.

I`d go for one of those.

Clare

Comment

Oooh thanks for that I'll go and have a hunt on the web. It's my first grown up one and I'd like it to last for a while. Thanks again

Comment

I've Got a Brother....

.....he's called Keith.

But I've also got a Brother sewing machine. I was very lucky as my Minl runs a fabric & sewing machine shop, and the sewing machine engineer gave me this one. It's a Super Galaxie, quite a few years old, but it's electronic and very strong. It does embroidery but I can't afford the card thingies yet. When it was new it was very expensive (about £800) and I love it. I've no idea what the cheaper Brother machines are like though.

My old machine is a Huskystar and it's excellent. I know from working in the shop that Janome, Husqvarna and Huskystars are all excellent makes, even the cheaper ones.

You could try finding your nearest sewing machine shop and chatting to the people there. If you phone, you won't be talked into a instant sale, but you can ask their opinions on various machines. Remember that you don't have to buy from them either.

Don't go buying cheap machines from Lidl, Aldi etc etc because they will go wrong and you'll never get them repaired unless you go to great expense. The parts cannot be had in this country.

Jules
        Apple Tree Crafts
        www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

I to have a Brother ( he snores a lot) but the sewing machine is brilliant, must have it about 12 years and wouldn't be without it
          while i knit i think

http://foxyscraftythoughts.blogspot.com

http://thecraftyfox.misi.me.uk

Comment

I guess I need to shop around a bit and see whats out there. Thanks for your replies.

Comment

I have a Janome and love it
              Vendi..Verdi..Visa...
              I came..I saw..I shopped

Comment

I bought A brother JS-23, £47 from tesco does the job for me. Its very basic but at least I know I can get it serviced as it is a 'named brand' machine. So defoe go for brother, janome, singer. Got my little machine about 9 months ago now and never seen em since in tesco.

People say to me why have you got a sewing machine? they think its wierd to want to make your own clothes and make your own curtains. I think they are wierd for not wanting to ! theres always been a sewing machine in every house I have lived in. My own house was not complete until I had one.
                http://twohootscraft.blogspot.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/home.php?ref=home

The owls made me do it.

Comment

Originally posted by two hoots View Post

People say to me why have you got a sewing machine? they think its wierd to want to make your own clothes and make your own curtains. I think they are wierd for not wanting to ! theres always been a sewing machine in every house I have lived in. My own house was not complete until I had one.
                  totally agree, I think its weird that people dont want to create their own things, nothing beats that feeling of trying on that completed garment and seeing peoples faces when you say ' i made it'
                  Vendi..Verdi..Visa...
                  I came..I saw..I shopped

Comment

Originally posted by Kay View Post
                    totally agree, I think its weird that people dont want to create their own things, nothing beats that feeling of trying on that completed garment and seeing peoples faces when you say ' i made it'

Hear Hear!

C.

Comment

Working...
                    X