machine embroidery thread- can you help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• machine embroidery thread- can you help

i have just invested in a second hand brother embroidery machine. it cost a fair bit so i need to take really good care of it. so do i need to buy brother embroidery thread or can i buy cheaper brands and if so what are the best "cheaper" brands and where is the cheapest place to get them.
    www.myeviemyrose.etsy.com http://www.facebook.com/myeviemyroseuk

I will PM you as my reply will be very long and comprehensive!

Comment

I have a query on embroidery thread too. Can I highjack this thread?

I have a Bernina Artista 180 computerised machine along with the embroidery unit. Its a bit old but still works perfectly well. I have only just got into embroidery so still learning.

I have a collection of Madiera threads which I have been trying out. Every single one frays and snaps before the design is finished! If I put a spool of every day polyester overlocking thread it works a dream.

Should I be pleased about that? Is it me, or the machine? Anyone know?
      Cathy
      I sew, therefore I am.
      I apologise in advance for any spelling or grramatical errors, I'm on tablets - no, no - I'm on a tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by Stunning_Creations View Post
        I have a collection of Madiera threads which I have been trying out. Every single one frays and snaps before the design is finished! If I put a spool of every day polyester overlocking thread it works a dream.

Should I be pleased about that? Is it me, or the machine? Anyone know?
        Rayon embroidery threads are nothing like as strong as poly sewing thread so, a few questions and suggestions.

What sort of needle are you using? I suggest changing it for a new embroidery needle of a good make - Schmetz for preference,
        What speed are you embroidering at? Slow it right down!
        What fabric are you using, and with what stabilisers?
        Is the thread old? Thread does deteriorate over time, especially if not stored optimally.
        What sort of bobbinfil are you using, and are you getting the right balance between front and back of the stitch-out?
        Are you attempting very stitch-dense designs with lots of random fill stitches? Try something less dense and without much, if anything, in the way of fill stitches.

Lastly - and importantly! - be aware that machines have their own individual likes and dislikes with thread, especially embroidery thread. I suggest that you buy a couple of spools of several different reputable brands of rayon and high-gloss polyester machine embroidery thread and try them out with a good bobbinfil. Brother, Gutermann, Mettler, and Marathon are all brands which are available in shops. Princess threads will send you a trial spool for p&p; Somac distribute wonderful threads inc. the wonderful Kingstar, and do sampler packs - look under 'embroidery special offers'. You need to phone them.

However, if you've been using the sewing machine for a while and have only just started using the embroidery facility, it might well need a service to get everything rebalanced, the tension set to the optimal settings etc.

If you've not had it serviced by a spe******t in a while, that's the first thing I would do.

Comment

Thanks for that Eena. There are a few things I could try, particularly the bobbinfil and the needle. The machine has been regularly seriviced so that's all okay.

At the moment, I am only trying out the monogramming for personalised crafts. I have just used the poly thread for that as I have so many colours - and its cheap.
          Cathy
          I sew, therefore I am.
          I apologise in advance for any spelling or grramatical errors, I'm on tablets - no, no - I'm on a tablet.

Comment

My machine is not the least bit fussy about the threads I use, but it's VERY fussy about bobbinfil! It DOES NOT LIKE Madeira bobbinfil; it embroiders better with unbranded ordinary poly sewing thread in the bobbin than it does with Madeira bobbinfil!

It loves either of the Brother bobbinfils and will tolerate Janome (its a Janome machine!) but requires a little tweaking of tension to get the right balance between upper and lower sides with Janome bobbinfil.

If an upper thread snaps, the first thing I check is whether it is tangled or hung-up anywhere. If not, I think back to when I last changed the needle. It usually needs changing! The other problems I find common are insufficient stabilising - so the fabric is bouncing around with the needle and the feed dogs, bound to pull on the thread in odd directions - and embroidery thread tangling, unravelling unevenly and hooking itself up on things. I put unravelly tangly spools into a mug behind and to one side of the machine, and thread from there.

Are you sure your top tension is not too tight?

Comment

Some of the best embroidery threads include:
              1. Madeira Incredible Threadable Embroidery Thread. ...
              2. Sulky Size-40 Embroidery Slimline Rayon Dream Assortment. ...
              3. Mettler Poly Sheen Polyester Embroidery Thread. ...
              4. Floriani Polyester Embroidery Thread. ...
              5. Isacord Quality Embroidery Thread Set.

You can buy these threads from any site. Just make sure to find out the type of needle you are using and fabric on which you are embroidering and then select the thread according to your requirements.
              You can read more [MOD EDIT-LINK DROP REMOVED] about embroidery and it will help you to embroider your fabrics elegantly. Just follow these tips and you will be able to choose your thread.
              Last edited by 3dDave; 29-06-2021, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Hi, unfortunately we do not allow links or hidden links to review or comparison sites as they are generally advertising things for sale which is against forum rules…..plus, this question was asked in 2013.

Forum moderator.
                Last edited by 3dDave; 30-06-2021, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X