Tips on Stuffing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on Stuffing?

Please has anyone got any tips they can pass on?

I hate stuffing anything, because it always looks lumpy. I do tease out the stuffing to make sure it's not all clumped up before stuffing, but this doesn't seem to be all the effective. The smaller things I make look fine, but the larger things leave a little to be desired....

What's the best type of stuffing to use? I'm using polyester toy stuffing, but I'm wondering if shorter fibres would give a smoother finish. I've read on a US webpage that massaging the stuffing into place helps, so I've just given my shaped cushion a good massage and it does look better.

Any advice would be appreciated, cos I'm starting to get a tad miffed with myself.

Jules
    Last edited by Apple Tree Crafts; 08-01-2008, 07:02 PM.
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Oh get stuffed!

I've never used toy stuffing so can't comment on that. I used a duvet I bought from Ikea that I used the stuffing from and when I'd used that I bought a cheap duvet from Sainsbury's.

I use it in my cottage doorstop to cut down on weight and I also use it in some of my hearts. Never noticed it clumping before .... I just shove it in til I can't get namore in!!

Don't know if that helps, but I did enjoy telling you to get stuffed!
    Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Oh, I know exactly what you mean! I buy my filling from a wholesale source near where I live, it is polyester cushion filling, and I buy huge bags of it. I was advised when I started sewing, that when using stuffing to try to use it in a continuous length instead of handfuls (easier said than done!) I think that's because you get air pockets in it, and that's why massaging it helps...I sometimes even pummel mine and then shake it to get a pleasing result, small items are def. easier! Your strawberry cushion is gorgeous!

Caz

Comment

I stuff alot!

I use a stuffing stick to position the filling which seems to help tease out gaps.

Not much help really!

Comment

Getting Well Stuffed....

.....attempt #2 has yielded a much better strawberry. Thank you all very much for your help.

I tried a combination of all the tips. I smoothed out as much stuffing as I could, and made an outer layer with it, then stuffed the inside with more stuffing using JB's ramrod principals, getting into curves etc with an old plastic chopstick. I think this is where #1 strawberry failed - I wasn't firm enough! Brute force & ignorance is what's needed.

On the top of the strawb I've placed layers of scrap batting, tucking it in around the edges. Then I gathered the top, sewed it closed and gave the whole thing a good massage.

I'm well pleased with the strawberry...only problem is, I used every scrap of stuffing I possess and didn't leave a wee bit to stuff the stalk....uhhh duhhhhh! Definitely a blonde/senior moment there!

I've got more stuffing on order, which may arrive tomorrow, but meanwhile it's very frustrating!

Jules
          Apple Tree Crafts
          www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

I get frustrated too with stuffing !
            It's certainly an art and while some projects go well, others do end up all 'lumpy bumpy'.
            Laurie

www.23beechhill.co.uk

http://23beechhill.blogspot.com

Comment

Sage and onion?
              Wood Tattoos
              Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
              Facebook
              Flickr
              Twitter

Comment

I have just used toy stuffing when I've made soft toys, and tease the stuffing a little but not too much. I have found the more I tease the less good the stuffing is. I pack as much in as I dare before my stitches pop!
                View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Working...
                X