No announcement yet.

Question about semi industrial machine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about semi industrial machine!

Hi everyone I hope you had a lovely Christmas. I recently bought a refurbed semi- industrial machine as I killed my poor domestic! The manual is not great and doesn't seem to contain the info I need to know so wonder if anyone can help? Basically it is not moving at all when I put my foot down on the peddle! I have a motor on it and can hear it when I do but there is no movement on the fabric! The feed dogs seem to be in right position. The chap I bought it off is slow at replying so was hoping I could get some info off you guys so I can start using it. Thanks
    Dee x
    Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
    Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
    Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

First of all, there is no such thing as a 'semi-industrial' machine. A machine is either "domestic" OR "industrial".

A
    lthough there are certainly machines which are very heavy-duty and sturdy, thumping their way through almost anything you can fit under the presser foot and manufactured until about the mid 1970s. they were sold during the time they were produced as ordinary domestic sewing machines.

The only machine which might remotely be considered as semi-industrial is the Singer 201 and 201K - batches of these machines were, I believe, sold for industrial use.

Right, rant over.

When you say it is not moving, I an assuming that the needle is not moving at all. If the machine has been transported to you by a courier, it might have been roughly handled and the belt could have slipped - this should be easy for you to check although you might need to twist yourself or the machine around a bit. It should be easy enough to replace if it was loose enough to slip during transport.

If the belt is in position, I wonder if the clutch is disengaged? You would do this manually when winding a bobbin, usual;ly by turning the handwheel in a certain way.
    Is the hand-wheel knurled? If it is, try gripping it, pushing it in or out slightly and turning it.
    This should re-engage the clutch and the machine should stitch.

If it is merely the fabric that is not moving, is your stitch length set to zero? The feed dogs are responsible for pushing the fabric along as you sew, and control the stitch length as they do so, so if the stitch length is set to zero, they won't push the fabric along, and will just sit there doing nothing.

If those suggestions don't help, I have more ideas, depending on what make and model the machine is.

Comment

Hi just read your reply that's great thanks, the reason I said semi-industrial is because it has the motor like an industrial and this is what it was sold as. Although I wouldn't class it as an industrial but it does sew through heavy leathers with ease. But anyway managed to sort it thanks it was the wheel, which was in bobbin mode but also there was a bit of thread in the shuttle which I manged to clean out.

I love her it is so much nicer than using my old brother!!!
      Thanks
      Dee x
      Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
      Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
      Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Comment

Working...
      X