Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I make from Great Gran's embroidered cloth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I make from Great Gran's embroidered cloth?

I have a tea cloth embroidered by my late Gran - there are birds in each of the four corners -each design measuring about 12cms square. (same design repeated 4 times)
    The cloth is tatty around the hem with a few actual holes and stains (it is about 50 years old and has been used) but the cloth around the embroidery and in the centre is still okay.
    I thought I could cut out each embroidery patch - but not sure what I could make from it. There are great grandchildren (and a few little great-greats!) and I would like to give four of them something made by their great grandmother.
    Any ideas of what to make (or do) with the embroidered patches? (ie making up four separate items)
    Thanks!
    Nancy
    My BLOG http://craftandactivities4elderly.blogspot.com

TWITTER
    http://twitter.com/SeniorCrafts

Crafts and Activities for Seniors

I'm watching this thread as I have my granny's embroideries squirrelled away wondering what to do with them.

Comment

I don't think I would cut it up. I can fully see your reasoning about wanting to share it among the family but have you checked to see if it has any financial value before you take the scissors to it. I know this sort of thing has to be fairly old to have monetory value but check just in case. I like the idea of her sitting by her fire month after month diligently applying her needle and struggling in the candlelight to sort out the colours and shades.
      OK so I am just an old romantic. You could use the blocks in cushions. Frame them as pictures....
      Carol
      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I'd really be afraid of it just coming apart once you start cutting - 50 years old is not THAT old, but it is used and has probably had a few moths nibbling around. So I am afrad teh cloth would not be up to cutting for the purpose of reusing. I would say that if you wanted to make enough framed pics for all the grandkids and great grandkids, first ask your local dry cleaners if they can "preserve" each item. I know they do something called preserving or antiquing to wedding gowns...so they do well over the years until someone's daughter wants to wear it.

Then cut carefully around each part you want to frame, and use fabric glue around all the cut edges. Then lay it on cloth to give it that soft or even slightly puffy look, and then use acid free mat board to cover the outer portions, focusing attention on the hand crafted design. Glass over it will keep out the UV rays. Maybe use no-glare glass? I see it in nice wood frames, maybe carved, or even woodburned with gran's name??

Just thinking out loud...

Comment

I have seen some lovely lavender filled sleep pillows made with old tray cloths similar to what you describe. Perhaps a pillow with a pocket for a renewable lavender sachet
          Amanda

www.janeexelbys.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you all so much for your suggestions!
            I have never heard of "preserving" - will ask at our dry cleaners to see if they do it here? If so - seems a very good idea.
            Will let you know when I make up my mind (and have to get up the courage to get out the scissors!)- I like the idea of framing the sections, but think I would have to get it done by a professional. The cushions on the other hand I could do myself.
            I don't think there is any value attached to the cloth - just sentimental!
            Would hate to totally destroy it - so maybe will just pass it down the generations and keep it intact! Oh dear - Decisions! Decisions!
            Nancy
            My BLOG http://craftandactivities4elderly.blogspot.com

TWITTER
            http://twitter.com/SeniorCrafts

Crafts and Activities for Seniors

Comment

Working...
            X