Ribbon dummy clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribbon dummy clip

OK, this must be one of 'those' topics, that people roll their eyes at but I thought that I could start off small. So I am making dummy clips, for safety reasons, I shall only be using ribbons, as I worry that babies could choke on beads etc.

Here is one I knocked up last night;

dummyclip.jpg

I've used 7/8" grosgrain ribbon, a plastic gripper clip, nickel free stud poppers & black thread.

I have placed a stud popper under the clip, thinking it would make it strong but now I am thinking that I would sew under the clip edge, down the 2 sides and along the bottom of the folded ribbon. I feel it maybe a little safer for a baby/toddler.

2mq9tnq.jpg

I've pressed in popper studs, that would clip around a dummy's handle

319587_10150368049143594_778778593_9729964_7202247_n.jpg311203_10150368049338594_778778593_9729966_3366361_n.jpg

And this is what the finished product will look like;

320367_10150366931603594_778778593_9718368_7559976_n.jpg

I would keep a dummy clip within 22cm's in length and always use nickel free metal. I would prefer the actual clip to be plastic but i am finding it hard to find where I can buy them in bulk (except ebay), would any one here know where I could purchase plastic clips in bulk?

Please excuse my stitching, it's not neat and I am pretty bad at hand sewing in a straight line I've purchased a sewing machine, which will make thing easier.

Alot of friends are currently pregnant, so I thought it would be nice as a personalised accessory (I would use patterns/colours etc that I know they'd like) and I'd also like to start selling them, in the hopes could save up any profits made for my 2 little boys, as they grow. I know it's not a great money maker but I thought something of this level, would help build my confidence in crafting. If they sell, that's a bonus, if not, then I have little gifts I can give to friends and family

What do you think? Any tips on safety or how I can make them better/stronger?
    Last edited by Beth82; 05-09-2011, 03:45 PM.
    Facebook: JoJo Clips

Twitter: JoJo Clips

have you thought about using velcro rather than a popper fastener?
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
      have you thought about using velcro rather than a popper fastener?

Ohh no I haven't, that's a good idea

Now this is a dumb question but is velco something you sew in or is it glued?

Comment

you can get both, but to be safety conscious you should sew in as it's going to need lots of washing.

Comment

I knocked this one up today, stitching isn't neat but a work in progress

2011-09-07 15.23.48.jpg

Comment

Oooooh!!!! Ive been making these too. But just for my daughter. Havent made them for anyone else. I havent put a clip on mine. Ive just left it as a loop so I just slipknot it onto her buggy. My daughter kept pulling the ones with clip off - the little madam!!!! I made a black and white polka dot one(to match her buggy), a hello kitty one, and I'm waiting for my personalized ribbon to arrive to make a personalized one. My daughters name is 'Fenella' and Ive purchased some ribbon on ebay saying 'Mummy loves Fenella xxx' When ve made that one, I'll put a pic of all 3 on here Xxx

Comment

Hi Beth
              I am making and selling these myself - Like you I had difficulty trying to source plastic clips I use the metal clips (lead and Nickel free) I secure these by threading the ribbon through the hole at the bottom (approx 3 inches) of the clip and then I apply hot glue from a glue gun - make sure the glue is suitable for the job (some are not).

Its best to prepare your clip / ribbon in advance so that you can check it after making and again before you use it. Don't rush any part - its just not worth taking the chance.

When I am assembling a clip, I thread small pony beads which have a central core a little smaller than the width of the doubled glued ribbon. It is a little bit of a struggle feeding them on - but the advantage is that it protects the ribbon underneath and prevents it moving and opening - you do this for the length of the doubled ribbon and you can make a feature of these by repeating the pattern at the opposite end.

When threading the beads on and be sure to check them for any cracks or sharp edges so that they don't pose a risk to the baby / child. I put a silicone shoe charm on the metal clip - again I use industrial grade superglue to secure it. Don't use any charms with rhinestones or loose fixtures so they don't pose a risk. I use metal poppers to make the dummy clip loop. Be careful when applying these to make sure that they line up properly. I then give them a squeeze with a pair of pliers to make sure they are secure. Be careful if you don't get it right first time as each time you try, you weaken the ribbon by the small grips of the popper.

Keep the length of the total dummy clip to the bare minimum to reduce risk of strangulation. Write up a card with each dummy clip to include the child / baby not to be left unsupervised with the dummy clip, to check the clip at least daily ideally after each use and discard once the item shows any sign of wear. I hope I have not bored you or stated the obvious

Comment

Hi Beth They are lovely must show them to my daughter.

Christine

Comment

I love these, I want to make some for my two, I have sooo much ribbon. I'd probably just make it as a loop aswell but if you want to sell them they look more professional with the clip x
                  http://mammymade.blogspot.com - my craft blog

Comment

I'm afraid you'll find that to pass this by any trading standards type person, you would have to have sent this for a test in a lab to ensure it meets all the stringent guidelines relating to the manufacture of infant goods
                    I wanted to make several hand-made baby related things, but the regulations are so strict now (and rightly so) that it makes it not worth it.

...plenty of people do it, but you just need to be carefull - not only for baby's safety, but in case your local TSO catches up with you
                    xx
                    Beau Baby - beautiful and unusual gifts for the new arrival

Beau Boutique - unique and fun handmade gifts in Chesterfield, Derbyshire

items also available through my Ebay shop

Comment

hi AustinFlowers and everyone, do you have details on any labs that do testing as im having the devils own job finding anywhere. north east lincs trading standards are now seizing any dummy clips with beads on and serving notices on sellers so the only way to protect yourself if you plan to sell these is by getting it tested i think. problems are toxicity of any glue, if they can be sterilized, if beads or small parts present a choking hazard, if they are impact resistant (what this means im not sure) and others not listed in the report. from googling it seems theres a lot of people calling for outright bans on these products so at the moment im not even sure its worth the investment in buying the parts to make them

jo

Originally posted by AustinFlowers View Post
                      I'm afraid you'll find that to pass this by any trading standards type person, you would have to have sent this for a test in a lab to ensure it meets all the stringent guidelines relating to the manufacture of infant goods
                      I wanted to make several hand-made baby related things, but the regulations are so strict now (and rightly so) that it makes it not worth it.

...plenty of people do it, but you just need to be carefull - not only for baby's safety, but in case your local TSO catches up with you
                      xx

Comment

Have a look at Conformance. they are very helpful and look after the small producer as well as large commercial outlets.
                        http://www.conformance.co.uk/

Comment

Hi

I was going to mention trading standards too. I am making decorative cushions and intend to label them as not suitable for children. I have just called trading standards and they couldn't give me a straight answer. Seems ridiculous. Surely if a parent gives a child something that is not suitable for them they are not good parents and that could be anything. Where do you draw the line? Anything could potentially look like a toy. So if things are intended for use with children then I am sure they would be even more strict.

Good luck though
                          Michelle Edlin

Twit Twit Twoo

www.twittwittwoo.co.uk

Please find me on facebook and like!

Comment

Working...
                          X