Bias tape maker help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bias tape maker help please

Ok so I've wanted one for ages, yesterday I gave into the urge and bought 2 in my local haberdashers. Opened the larger of the 2 thinking it might be less fiddly to get my head and fingers around whilst perfecting the technique - WRONG! I can't do it at all. Ive followed the instructions on the back and it all makes sense and in theory should work fine but the results are crapola in the extreme. What am I doing wrong? Has anyone had good results with these? Am I missing a trick?

I'm using the 'hemline' brand one to create 25mm bias binding, cutting my strips 48mm wide out of brushed cotton and the first inch or 2 when I iron is fine and then it just gets wider and wider, I've tried going nearer and further away from the tool with the iron, I've tried going faster and slower, I've tried being careful and not careful the results are completely rubbish every single time. What am I doing wrong? Is it a rubbish/faulty tool? Should I take them back for a refund and try a different brand? I'm getting nowhere but don't know if it's just me being rubbish.
    www.belovedly.co.uk
    www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
    www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Are you using the adhesive strip that goes with it too? When you have initially threaded the fabric and the adhesive strip through the little gadget (strip through the bottom of machine) put it on the ironing board, put hot iron on the half inch that is protruding, pull gadget away from iron half inch at a time and each time you have done that lift the iron off the fabric and replace it half inch higher, pull another half inch, lift the iron again and place it on that half inch (or inch, but not much more) remembering to release the tension on the fabric by easing it back towards the iron every time. I wonder if that makes sense. It is easier to show than verbally describe. It takes time and you can only do a bit at a time. I should mention that you only need the sticky strip if you are using the bias binding as a flat sew-on decoration.
    Last edited by Critchley; 07-07-2011, 03:46 AM.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I use them and do not have a problem, I think Carol's tutorial is brilliant

Comment

Yes sounds good doesn't it Caroline - Do you use the hemline ones? With or without sticky stuff?
        Thanks everso much Carol that sounds completely different to how I'm trying to do it - regarding ironing technique. I'd been sliding along the length. Will have another go. I'm wanting to use it folded in half to edge things though so I'm guessing I leave the sticky stuff out yes?
        I've comapared the Hemline ones to the Prym ones and notice that the opening seems deeper on the hemline one and flatter on the Prym, I was wondering if that made any difference...
        Off to have another go.
        Thanks for your help
        www.belovedly.co.uk
        www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

hmm I wonder if its cos its crushed cotton, it might be pulling in a diff way?? Or maybe pop on some spray starch to stiffen it and try?

Or if you have cut out a strip can you sew with it as is...line up the two raw ends on the item and bias, sew, turn over and iron, then tuck the ends in (desperation measures!!)

The ones I have seemed to work ok, without an adhesive strip (well thats how I am doing it.) Pull the fabric through (with a pin if thats helps)
            my folksy
            Kryshees Blog
            www.kryshees.com

Comment

Depends what you want to use it for as to whether you cut it on the bias or not.
              Carol
              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

OK, I have had another go following all the advice given and hey presto it works! Not as well as the one in the little video clip but that is definately due to the design of the 'hemline' ones. It was all down to my ironing technique being wrong. Anyway it is definately good enough for now and the small quantity that I'll be making - thanks ever so much ladies
                www.belovedly.co.uk
                www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
                  Depends what you want to use it for as to whether you cut it on the bias or not.
                  Really?

I have never bought the gadget cos 'on the bias' throws me! I know what it is, but I don't know how to make sure I cut a long thin strip of it!

I am guessing that curved hems/edges do need it to be cut on the bias - which would be just my luck!

I wonder if that nice lady has a tutorial for cutting on the bias?

Ohh!

Last edited by StefC; 09-07-2011, 04:24 PM. Reason: I found a video
                  Do not watch this space

Comment

That video is amazing, I'm so glad I hadn't started cutting the big piece of fabric I bought to make bias out of yet else I'd be kicking myself!!!
                    www.belovedly.co.uk
                    www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

I actually have seen an easier folding technique than this... i will try to find it and post it here if i manage to work out how... lol
                      I thought too that ironing fast would work but i see it now from the first video that it is a very slow process... I might just stick with my old technique of just folding it half then half again along the middle...
                      I only use bias binding for aprons, but i just really don't want to waste a big piece of nice fabric so wondered if anybody knows how much would make an adult apron for example?
                      Thanks

Comment

This is the video which shows an easier way (for me that is) to cut bias binding...
                        Hope this will work if not let me know and i can e-mail you the link:
                        Ok it seems i cannot post a link just yet so if anyone needs it please e-mail me and i can forward it...
                        Gabby

Comment

Working...
                        X