Double Bed quilts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Bed quilts.

Most of you prob. know I sew quilts. You will not believe this but I have never made a double bed one, several kingsize and single and numerous lap quilts and other projects.
    So, my stupid question is, exactly how big is a double quilt. In inches please. I had an idea that they were 100 x 100 but have nothing comparable that I could measure. I need the information before I put the next round on, or even decide what the round should consist of. lol. A bit hit and miss is this one. Its a gift for a son who is about to move home. Sort of house warming prezzie.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Is this of any help to you?

http://www.ilovemyduvet.co.uk/content/view/42/62/
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

UK doubles are normally 200cm X 200cms

Comment

Originally posted by indri View Post
        Thanks Indri but I need measurements for throws rather than duvets.

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
        UK doubles are normally 200cm X 200cms
        Many thanks Carolione, Off to fine out what 200cm's is in English. lol.
        Carol

Comment

79" x 79"
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

are you wanting one that literaly covers the matress or goes over the sides etc?
            full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Its a patchwork quilt, so all over and down to the floor.
              Carol

Comment

158" <-> and 100" from headboard to floor. I measured my bed

Hope this helps

Tarina
                http://tarinaknits.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Tarina. Much appreciated. We have twin beds so I couldn't do that.
                  Carol

Comment

Don't mean to throw a spanner in the works but it does depend, usually you are talking about 4' 6" x 6' 6" for the mattress but a double can vary from 4' to 4' 9" in width at 5' it becomes a king in the UK - different sizes apply in the US.
                    Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

I was going to throw another spanner in the works that if the quilt is going down to the floor, then beds do come in different heights, so what might reach the floor on one bed, might then be too long at the sides on another and too short on yet another.....
                      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Sorry, but here comes another spanner - if the quilt is to go to the floor, are beds of differing heights?
                        Would it be safer to somehow measure son's actual bed - if it's a secret, is there any way of doing this?
                        Good luck.
                        Annie and Lyn
                        www.rosiepink.typepad.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by rosiepinkStudio View Post
                          Sorry, but here comes another spanner - if the quilt is to go to the floor, are beds of differing heights?
                          Would it be safer to somehow measure son's actual bed - if it's a secret, is there any way of doing this?
                          Good luck.
                          Er - no. I have not told them that I am making it. They are about to move homes and I was making it as a house gift but I was going to 'Test the water' first in case they don't like patchwork quilts, they are not everyones cup of tea, but I have not had the opportunity yet. So I thought that if I made it a standard size and they don't want it I could possibly sell it.
                          Carol

Comment

Working...
                          X