Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wash Instructions

I wonder if anyone knows....

If you sell cushions/bags/purses etc, is there a law that says you MUST add materials used and wash instructions onto a care label?

Do you know, that has never occured to me. I will be interested in the answer.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I am designing my labels at the moment Carol, and it just occurred to me! Still trawling through the net to see if I can find an answer

Comment

Hi,
        Why not email trading standards. They are very helpful. They are very strict on labelling cosmetics but I'm not sure about fabric items. I'm sure they would provide you with a quick reply. I had a couple of visits from them a few weeks ago. They even offered to check my labels for me before I put them on my products. As nice and helpful as they were I was very glad to have met them now before I start selling and have them query my labels!!!

HTH
        Eleanor

Comment

For bags - 'mixed fibres - spot clean only' will be fine if you wish to label them.
          Cushion covers are another matter entirely and need to comply with the soft furnishings regs - mainly concerned with flamability if I remember rightly. Can't remember the name of the regs off hand but if you look in your sofa you'll be able to find a label.
          If you decide to make bags for children they will need to pass bsen71 and be CE marked.
          www.belovedly.co.uk
          www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
          www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

The thing to remember with labels is that if you add a care label to your product then you as the "manufacturer" are 100% liable for it - so if I washed one of your cushions exactly as the label told me to and the cushion was spoiled then I'd be entitled to a full refund from you because I followed the instructions you provided. So whatever you put make sure it's right!!!
            www.lucyliz.co.uk
            Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...99555560065251
            Blog: http://lucy-liz.blogspot.com/
            Twitter: @lucy_liz

Comment

Interesting thread - as I make bags from recycling any fabric I can get : )

Is it enough to put a care card in with the bag (which is what I currently do) when you wrap it up, as appose to a care label sown into the lining (for example)?

Also although I don't make bags aimed at children I have some small purses/pockets (that I started making to store jewellery in primarily) but they are the type of thing a child might want to buy.... do the regs regarding CE marking still apply?

thanks
              Attached Files

Comment

Pepperpot, that's how I provide care instructions with my bags - when you buy the bag there's two tags hanging from it, one with the logo and one with the care instructions. I was going to do sew-in labels but by the time I'd put my own branding on the inside of the bag I thought it was just a bit much
                www.lucyliz.co.uk
                Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...99555560065251
                Blog: http://lucy-liz.blogspot.com/
                Twitter: @lucy_liz

Comment

I have tried to add a link I've found, but as I'm a fairly new user I can't do this just yet.

Have e-mailed Trading Standards as Lorrelle has suggested. Will keep you posted as any findings may be useful to others!

Thanks for the help guys. I love it here!!

Comment

I'm pretty sure there was a set of guidelines for 'general textiles' I came across, that covered basic safety...ie no sharp protrusions, etc etc..
                    Will try look for it.

But def ask TS as wen my man came over, for every question I asked, he had a lil black book of instant guidance!! (I want one of those!)
                    my folksy
                    Kryshees Blog
                    www.kryshees.com

Comment

Originally posted by sparklyshoes View Post
                      I'm pretty sure there was a set of guidelines for 'general textiles' I came across, that covered basic safety...ie no sharp protrusions, etc etc..
                      Will try look for it.

But def ask TS as wen my man came over, for every question I asked, he had a lil black book of instant guidance!! (I want one of those!)
                      I wish I had one also!!

Ok, I've had a reply to my e-mail.....

Dear Lisa,

I would advice you to go to our website care-labelling .co. uk for the Home Laundering Consultative Council where you should find information on labelling. If you require any further advice please email to xxx

kind regards
                      Sharon

Comment

thanks Lisa - very helpful - will check that out!

Comment

Pleasure pepperpot

I'm not sure how much it will help tho..... it's not really answered all my questions.

I asked them if I should details Materials used, add a country of origin plus washing instructions....

Comment

There are four main aspects to the labeling of clothing of which you should be aware.
                            ·Care labeling, the inclusion of washing instructions is not mandatory in the UK, however, it is strongly encouraged. We would always recommend the use of GINETEX symbols- the system used throughout Europe. (Please refer to our home page for further information on the symbols and their meaning.)

·Fibre content labeling in clothing is mandatory as laid down in the 1986 Fibre Content Labelling of Textiles Regulations. The basis of these Regulations is that the label must include information on the main fibre types used and their percentages- for example wool 80%, cotton 20%.
                            ·Country of origin labeling is, generally speaking, not compulsory. However, it is necessary to have an origin label if without such a label the consumer would be misled as to the true origin of the garment.

Example: If a garment carried the British flag on it but it was made in Hong Kong, then the garment should include a label to that effect.

·Finally, nightwear and garments commonly worn as nightwear are subject to certain labeling requirements concerning their flammability. Children’s nightwear must satisfy the flammability program requirements specified in British Standard 5722. Babies’ garments and adults nightwear must carry a permanent label showing whether or not they meet the flammability standard.

Further information on this labeling of nightwear is contained in ‘A Guide to the Nightwear (safety) Regulations 1985’ which is available from the Consumer Safety Unit of the Department of Trade and Industry.

Comment

Hmmm that's interesting, so you couldn't really make things to sell from recycled fabrics because you wouldn't know the fibre content necessarily? Are bags etc classed as clothing then?

Comment

Working...
                              X