1st pair of leather handles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st pair of leather handles!

Well I have made my 1st pair of piped leather handbag handles last night, my bernina nova didn't like them but I luckily have 2 other machines stashed away for moments like this - one is a viking husqvarna 5220 which looks like a basic workhorse and may be semi industrial (what constitutes semi industrial and how do I find out?) by the looks of it and another machine that doesn't admit to a name or brand but has loads of lovely embriodery style stitches. Anyway I'm really pleased with them and think I will definately make a few to sell on to other bag makers once I've got myself up to date on my backlog of commissions. These handles are for a rather nice brown bag I'm making. I also had a dabble with my new rotary cutter that my dad retrived from his overful garage, it's lovely - I'm using it with a steel ruler at the mo but am thinking I should be using something else instead .... my fingertips are slightly nervous!
    www.belovedly.co.uk
    www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
    www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

AWESOME!! I have wanted leather straps for my felted shoulder bags, and got a hide and the cutter, and an awl and was just going to hand stitch them onto the bags in a continuous loop (even across the bottom, for support) but have never been able to get it to look good. So many congratulations!! I am now talking to a leather worker in Austin about stitching them on for me, using her industrial leather stitching machine. Now I can't say they are completely handmade by me. =P

You have guts - I would have been really afraid to stitch them on my sewing machine, even though supposedly you CAN...My leather is not that thick...however, stuffing the thick felted bag through would have posed problems for it, I am certain.

Well done you! Are the pictured on your blog?

Comment

No not on my blog yet Cosmic and have realised I've made my bag in the wrong order so will need to handsew them on this time - boo! I need to machine sew them on next time before I start to construct my bag which will make me bite my nails incase I don't get them in the right place! Pictures will be on my blog once I've finished the bag.
      www.belovedly.co.uk
      www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

Deep breath - you can do this! I'm with ya'!! Sending calming happy vibes!!

Comment

Well done Ali! I really need to get brave and tackle my machine lol. Look forward to seeing the finished bag

cj
          www.curiouscatcreative.co.uk
          Become a facebook fan
          Check out my blog

Comment

Looking forward to seeing these handles!

Comment

Yay! They are done!
              Check them out here ....
              http://mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com/.../1-2-3-go.html
              They are on the 3rd bag.
              www.belovedly.co.uk
              www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

ooo I love them!!!
                my folksy