Sewing room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewing room

Apologies if this seems a daft question! I've just taken up sewing, but it's a bit of a faff getting the machine out onto the kitchen table. I'm going to clear out the 'junk room' and set it up permanently in there. It'll be easier then to use it when I have a spare half hour. Would a square table or long rectangle table be better? And are there other things I should think of? There's good lighting in there, and I've got a lamp. I know this may seem simple, but wondered if there were any common pitfalls i can avoid!

Thanks,

Fiona

My Industrial machine lives permanently in my dining room, which is my craft room too, as well as the rest of the house.

It may depend on what you intend to make on it, as to size of table.

If you need to cut out long lengths of fabric, you may want the table for that purpose instead.

As long as you have room enough to swing you fabric round for your intended makes, I dont think it matters what sort of table as long as you are comfortable with it and dont cover it in other junk ,, as mine is !
    If you dont have a go ................... you will never know

https://www.facebook.com/HatPiece

www.HatPiece.co.uk

Comment

My sister in law, got so fed up of having to get the iron and ironing board out all the time, to press those silly bits and seams, that she invested in a wall mounted ironing board and a kitchen draw mini board in her work room.

Jane
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Depending on what you are making, a table for the machine and a table for pattern making, putting fabrics together etc would be handy. Or one longer table would work well.

I cant wait to have my own place and a sewing/ craft room!
        For an eclectic range of cross stitch kits visit Midnight Curiosity

Comment

Ive also wondered what height should the table be to take a sewing machine should it be lower than a standard dining table or higher?

Comment

Just make sure the table is sturdy - if you can fit in a small table for your machine and a bigger one for cutting out, that'd be something to consider.

The height will depend on your height and comfortable working position - how does the dining table feel for you? Is it comfortable to use?

Good storage, somewhere to press seams, and you'll be ready to go!

There's nothing like your own dedicated workspace, makes a big difference!
            digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
            blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
            hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
            blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

ooooooooh, I would kill for a work/craft room!!! REALLY I WOULD!!!

I live in a 1 bedroom flat so my computer table doubles up as a sewing table, and I have to get the ironing board out each time I need it!! The coffee table is the 'cutting room'!! So frustrating! But I will need to make a lot more bags (or win the lottery) before I can afford a place of my own with a workroom, patio doors, garden, wetroom, large kithen/diner..................... lol
              www.goodgirldesigns.co.uk

Comment

Size & height very much depend on what you're going to make & whether you'll be standing or sitting to do your cutting out etc.

If you're making small things a normal size table or desk will be sufficient for both cutting out & sewing.
                If you're going to make bigger things eg curtains you'll need to use a wider & longer table that is also higher(midriff height) as you'll probably be cutting out whilst standing & that height will eliminate backache.

When I made curtains/soft furnishings professionally I had a 8 x 4 foot worktable made up of trestle legs from Ikea with insulation board from the builders merchants (covered with interlining & then curtain lining fabric) for the top. It was at midriff height & the board allowed pins etc to be stuck into it, I kept the sewing machine on a small side table & put it on the big table when I needed to sew the items which I usually did standing up (most of the curtains etc were handsewn so the machine wasn't needed very often)

However now I do craft items (patchwork etc) & have got rid of both the tables & use the room for 3 purposes:-

1) spare bedroom - it has a big bay window which takes a single bed which I've dressed as a day bed/sofa Fabric is also stored in 3 underbed storage boxes
                2) study - one wall has a 4 x 2 foot desk + matching drawer unit from Argos which takes the PC & paperwork
                3) workroom - the opposite wall has another of the same desk + 2 sets of drawers which takes my sewing machine & sewing stuff.

The layout works really well, I've also put floating shelves above the sewing desk with pretty cardboard storage boxes holding ribbons, buttons etc

Hope this gives you some ideas

Comment

Dispite having 2 spare rooms for the last 17 years I have never managed to have a dedicated craft room. The bedroom ended up as a guest room and over the last few years as a 'dump it' for my sons everytime they tidied their rooms and the downstairs room is an office for all the farm paperwork. So I still do all my sewing and jewellery making on the kitchen table or in the lounge.

Melanie

Comment

I've found that for me light makes the biggest difference on where to have a sewing space. I used to use our spare room, with an overhead light and a lamp but it was always too dark to sew (especially in the evenings). So I've moved everything downstairs and sew in the kitchen and use the living room for cutting. The light is so much better and it makes for happy sewing.

Comment

Oh wow, how envious am I at you having your own craft room! My dining table doubles up as sewing table, a colouring table and an eating table!

I need the table to be quite large as I often cut out from large pieces of fabric.

Light is also key - my table is by the patio doors and so there's lots of natural light which helps the eyes. My angle poise lamp that I use when I do close handstitching has a day light bulb in - quite pricey but worth its weight in gold.

i love someone else's idea of having a wall mounted ironing board. I am forever getting out my board to iron little bits and pieces before I can stitch the next bit and its a real faff.
                      www.helensmalldesigns.co.uk
                      https://www.facebook.com/HelenSmallDesigns
                      Small Things Bright and Beautiful blog: Here

Comment

Thank you all for your advice! I'm really pleased to have a sewing room, even though it does double up as a study. There's a big window, and i've got a long table right in front of it, perfect for machining and hand sewing. The desk is now being used for cutting!

Thanks again!

Fiona

Comment

Working...
                        X