Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabric patterns - copyrights??

Hello lovely peeps

Can anyone tell me their opinions on how far a dress pattern copyright extends?

I'm sewing up plain A line dresses from a combination of patterns I had, just plain ones, any embellishements I put on are my own ideas, my own applique designs etc..I've only just done 2 fairs and my web and folksy are not yet running, but ideally I want to sell these with other items I'm making.

I only ask as I started looking on folksy at kids dresses and there are some I recognise as current patterns, but they are more elaborate styles.

Equally I sew up some small mice (idea nicked from sew hip) but smaller and hand drawn patterns, used as bookends. Should I not do this...just generally a bit confused. I'm not trying to pass off these as my own ideas, but have changed uses, patterns etc..

Any one have any opinions? Am I just a stealing pixie?
    my folksy
    Kryshees Blog
    www.kryshees.com

If you've changed the original pattern to create something unique to you the new idea is all yours.
    AnnieAnna

Comment

You need to be very very careful the bigger companies like to make examples of particularly smaller people like us to make an example to others they spend alot of money every year chasing people over copyright infractions. Having said that though ALOT of people make aline style dress patterns and I think it would be difficult for them to prove the original pattern was theirs especially if you have altered the design somewhat. Hope business is good for you
      Karen
      www.angelicfolk.co.uk
      Bespoke clothing for your little angels
      http://angelicfolk.etsy.com
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/angelic.folk?ref=profile

Comment

Can I just say that you don't HAVE to use patterns.
        By all means look at or use a pattern to get the idea and shape in your head but don't be frightened of absorbing the principle and drawing up your own pattens. It's very liberating and they are all yours. And you can make them fit a body pefectly if you have to.

You'd think you'd need a degree in haute couture but honestly you only need to have an eye and a tape measure.

AnieAnna
        www.anniethepedlar.com

Comment

And....An A line skirt..... for heaven's sake....who's claiming to have invented that? It's the shape of my Tudor and Elizabethan skirts (at the front). Copyright's lost in the mists of time, I'd argue, when hauled before the judge. Actually fashion moves on so quickly, if challeged, I'd smile sweetly, withdraw my products, switch to flared, gored or gathered skirts then quietly bring your A line ones back in 10 yerars time
          AnnieAnna

Comment

Thank you, I guess that was my thoughts, that an Aline dress/skirt was going to be hard to prove to be anyones.

I've ended up going through my lil girls wardrobe, nicking bits and sticking them together, then using modern patterns to get the sizing right for age groups, but still experimenting a bit..I mean a whole 5 dresses sewn now (woo woo) so I still have lots to learn and how you can piece bits together!

I guess as long as I don't blantantly steal exact ideas/patterns I'm kind of ok...ish!!

Thank you thank you
            my folksy
            Kryshees Blog
            www.kryshees.com

Comment

Here's a thought. Say you are a craftswoman. Crafts follow the same pattern over and over again.

Or be an artist. Name your influences....Hmmmm, Simplicity, Vogue...

Actually, I've just googled 'patterns'. There are loads of freebies in the public domain. Bet one of them is an A line skirt.

AnnieAnna

Comment

Thanks Annieanna

I have pilfferd (sp) the web already!!!
                my folksy
                Kryshees Blog
                www.kryshees.com

Comment

Working...
                X