Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rag rugs

hey there all

ive always seen these things at museums and stuff, always so nice, shaggy, and pretty. ive always wanted to make one, but the question is, i dont know how.

ive searched online, but cant find any decent tutorials on how to make them (the ones ive seen are really complicated). ive tried to search this site, but the words are too small small for the search function, and a manual search revealed nothing. does anyone know of a simple tutorial where i might learn the basics of making one? or perhaps explain to me in layman how to make one? id be ever so greatful for any help ^^

thanks
    Fishy

There are a few ways to make them but heres a link to a fairly simple tutorial http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/02/...d-rag-rug.html

Enjoy !
    Karen
    www.angelicfolk.co.uk
    Bespoke clothing for your little angels
    http://angelicfolk.etsy.com
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/angelic.folk?ref=profile

Comment

Hi.
      Look on eBay for a kit, they come with instructions for two of the most common ways. I use a simple pull through, ie. take the hook through 2 strands of the hessian, grab the end of my piece of rag and pull through until the ends are the same. Much like Rug making but without the knot. Once you have a row or 2 it is amazingly secure. If you still can't find anything I will see if I still have the instructions and try and take a close up of my current work in progress and mail both to you.

lol

Di.

Comment

Take a look here not instructions but the kits are not expensive.

(I'm lucky - my dad, mum and great-aunt all made rag rugs)
        Last edited by ElaineJ; 21-06-2009, 02:05 AM.
        ElaineJ soap and other stuff
        website
        blog

Comment

My MIL made lots of these rugs with either fairly thick wool from old coats or suits and then later with the crimpelene fabric. Both don't fray too much and the second was really hard wearing, kept it's colour and easy to wash and dry. She used the 'prodded method' with a hessian backing and took short sections of wool strip (about 15cmx3cm) and pushed each end through the hessian from the back about 1-2cm apart.
          Here is a fairly simple way to make a similar looking shaggy rug if you have a sewing machine.
          http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art46899.asp
          There are details about all the different types here.
          http://www.netw.com/~rafter4/rugtype.html

Melanie

Comment

We make rag rugs and each rug cost about £3-£4 in total if you include the price of the latch hook. The hessian is a couple of quid a yard, the rags are any cloth you like curt into strps about 4 -6" long. If you want the traditional type then you just do a basic colour co-ordination but if you want patterns you need to strip your material into seperate bags and work out your pattern. QWe have made them using old sacks but to be perfectly honest the weave is so loose on them that it is a right palaver getting as decent tight finish. We always knot ours, though they can be made just by prodding the strip sthrough but IME this tends to work loose in use. May be our technique.

Pete
            "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
            Facebook

Website

Comment

I love rag rugs. I did a workshop at our local museum a few years ago. Bought all the stuff, and now I can't remember how to do it.
              Allison
              www.cardtoppers4crafts.com
              www.epbeads.co.uk/freeguide

Comment

Originally posted by baines View Post
                I love rag rugs. I did a workshop at our local museum a few years ago. Bought all the stuff, and now I can't remember how to do it.
                Shove your latch hook through the weave of the hessian, loop the rag or wool around the hook. When pulling the material back through the weave the latch will close over the hook stopping it catching. Leaving the loop on the hook push the hook back through the weave on the next hole and catch the tail of the material / wool around the hook and pull back through. It will pull the material / wool through the hessian and then through the loop that is on the shaft of the hook. Tighten up and go back and repeat with the bnext piece. If using rags strip the material into at least 6" pieces and no more than 1" wide. For a mish mash rug just strip the material (with the weave is easiest) and bag up for use, if wanting a pattern seperate in seperate bags of diofferent colours and/or patterns.

Hope this jogs your memory

Pete

Someone showed me a few rugs that had been done like this around the edge and then patterns and pictures woven in the centre. Really effective with the contrasting twextures.
                Last edited by bodrighy; 15-07-2009, 12:32 PM. Reason: Additional info:
                "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                Facebook

Website

Comment

Working...
                X