Best way to show off my handbags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to show off my handbags?

Was just chatting to the lady that does my website and she says she thinks one of the main issues are my photographs. I know a lot of you present yours with a white background but any idea on how else they should be presented?
    I really want to re-vamp my site and i'm thinking of using do your own site or mr.site. do any of you have any preferances-i know this has been talked about soooo many times! But i need to take the plunge!x
    Dee x
    Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
    Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
    Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Im not speaking from experience of doing my own photos as I dont sell my crafted stuff, but when Im looking at other peoples websites etc I really, really like it when they have a more interesting background.

I dont mean anything that distracts from what you are selling, but very out-of-focus flowers look nice, as do nature-type settings such as large stones and sand, again a bit out of focus so they dont drag attention away from what you have done.

When you look at magazines they often have photos like these, a bit arty-looking.

I guess it's personal preference though really - white backgrounds do look effective too, and a lot of people prefer them.

Someone (muranosilver I think) recently posted a tutorial for making a gradient background for your photos if you fancy that?

Comment

Hmmm, Iv just been having another look at your pictures and I see what you mean. I think maybe there isnt enough contrast between some of the items you are selling and their background. And some of the ones with people in look a bit messy.

Maybe experiment with different backgrounds and see what works well? Have you got a graphics programme on your computer? If you masked off the handbag you could then play with the background and see what looks nice, then once you know what you would like you could experiment with how you take the pictures.

Comment

Thanks guys

I know what you mean, and i do have my own graphics package similar to photoshop. I might have a play. Been meaning to get some more batteries for my camera aswell so that i can re-take my pics. It's hard with my current provider to get the background how i want it but i think i might try this free trial with do your own site.
        I also realise my prices are possibly a bit steep but i honestly would be heartbroken to sell for any less!! That's why i'm thinking of expanding more towards the accessories.x

Looking in magazines might help. Thank you x
        Dee x

Comment

Here you go, I had a little play: (not saying that's what you should do, just showing you what you CAN do and it doesnt take very long either!)

Comment

ooooh! I like it!!!You should become my personal photograph re-toucher!!!Thanks, it's amazing what a difference small things can make
            Dee x

Comment

I really like the way this seller has used a white background to show of the lovely colours of the purse, plus the way she has also shown the purse with the Ipod and lipgloss, to give you and idea of the size.
              Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Just tried with a gradient. any better?x Maybe i should stick with white!!

I can't seem to get big pic files on my thread cos it says i'm exceeding my quota even when i reduce the size. Am i doing it wrong?!Doh!
                Last edited by dee_liteful; 20-02-2009, 06:06 PM.
                Dee x

Comment

Oooh yes, the gradient looks really professional! Now you've just got to do all the 100+ others!

Katianne, I like the pic you found too, I remember reading a thread on the etsy forum (i dont know why, because I dont use it lol!) where they were all thinking of different things they could use to show size in their pics. The ipod and lipglass are perfect arent they?

Comment

Bags

Hello,

I think Katianne's example is a good one. It shows the shape of the bag, gives an idea of size by showing you things that may fit inside. The colours are nice and clear against the plain, white background.

I've always been told that white is best as a background, particularly as colours are affected by the computer monitor they are being viewed upon and you can't do anything to affect other peoples machines. Different colours in the models clothes and backgrounds will affect how they colours of your bags appear so perhaps white is best.

Take a look at this site for somemore pictures/photo's that work.
                    http://www.beckyoh.com/index.html

Perhaps as you get to grips with your photographs you could perhaps look at your descriptions too. Tell people that they are getting some special, something handcrafted, a one of a kind, something they cannot buy anywhere else. Perhaps make you descriptions more 'passionate', by this I mean when you say it's an inside pocket for a mobile...., then say it's a useful internal slip pocket for those items which you need to access in a hurry and rumage around searching..... I'm sure you know the kind of thing.

Good luck with this because they do look like lovely bags.
                    Julia

Website: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/JuliaYo...=hdr_shop_menu
                    Facebook:
                    https://www.facebook.com/JuliaYorkDesigns?ref=hl
                    Blog:https://juliayorkdesigns.wordpress.com

Comment

I've seen Dee's bags 'in the flesh' and sadly the website pics do not do them justice. I think the above advice is spot on about the background. Maybe some small pics of the bag being held to show scale, but I do think it is important to have the main pic as big as possible, and as high quality as possible. By that I mean well lit and crisply focused so the viewer can see the detail clearly. As bags are as much about feel and texture as looks, you have to get that across as well. Make sure your camera lens is sparkling clean and play about with the focusing to get it as sharp as possible. Also try to use good, but not too bright, light. xx
                      Cathy xx
                      http://folksy.com/shops/Cathy
                      http://www.recycledbaglady.co.uk/
                      http://owlfamilydiary.blogspot.com/
                      I don't have a short attention span, I ... Ooh look, there's a chicken!

Comment

Thanks Cathy that's great of you to say

Thanks for all your comments! roll on this weekend as i actually have it off and can start to re-take some piccies!!!
                        Dee x

Comment

I'd have to agree about the white background. To me it looks much more classy and professional, and there isn't anything to distract or take away from the colours of your fabrics you are using.

Have fun re-doing those photos! yikes!
                          Rachel

Creative Fabrics: Website - Facebook - Twitter
                          Little Fish eCart & SiteBuilder: Website - Facebook - Twitter

Also visit: http://www.ukyankeecrafts.com

Comment

i went for a mannequin and a contemporary radiator with a blue light behind it for my website photography and sometimes use black or white backing and a lot of contrasting.works for what i wanted to achieve.
                            za.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X