Machine embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine embroidery

Can anyone recommend a good quality silky thread that I can use for simple embroidery on my sewing machine. I'm guessing that Gutterman is best but what are your opinions on Coats' or other brands please?
    Thanks.
    Bren
    www.digby-bears.co.uk

I use Gutterman and Madiera, not a lot of difference between the two, the latter is a bit easier to get as I purchase through Barnyarns online. I believe Guterman is now owned by Sulky or the other way around, Sulky is also very good.

Comment

My tuppence worth.....

Hi There,

I use a Janome MC9500 combined sewing and embroidery machine and I purchased a set beginners set of Madeira threads from Barnyarns online.

I did find that the threads seem to shred a lot causing the machine/ needle to jam which was very noisy and quite distressing!

I have tried reducing the number of stitches per minute down to 400 and have used a variety of different needles to see if that was the problem but I can't seem to figure it out.

Having said that, those embroideries that I have managed to complete look wonderful and the rayon threads are good for machine washing. I embroidered a load of terry nappies a year ago and these are washed at 60 degrees and then tumble dried and the embroidery still looks as good as it did when I first did them.

So all in all, I use mostly Madeira because I spent so much on buying them - and would be tempted to try a different brand when the time comes to replace finished spools.

As an aside, my mum uses Robison Anton threads with her Janome MC300E and is always really pleased with the results.

Hope this helps...

Happy Sewing

Alison
      http://www.pollyanna-patchwork.co.uk

12 High Street, Eccleshall, STAFFS, ST21 6BZ Tel: 01785 859360

Comment

I, too, have a Janome MC300E and have used Robison Anton threads. They're good, but I use mainly Brildor and ARC. I've never had any problems with these and they produce really good designs.
        I bought a starter set of Janome embroidery threads and do not like them at all. They're always breaking. But I've recently found out (from a Janome engineer) that you MUST use Janome bobbin thread with them as they have a kind of 'hook and loop' system to make them work together.

Check out http://www.marathonthreads.co.uk
        Life's not a race, do take it slower. Hear the music before the song is over.

Sue

Bags Embroidery & Knitting

Comment

Originally posted by pollyanna-patchwork View Post
          Hi There,

I use a Janome MC9500 combined sewing and embroidery machine and I purchased a set beginners set of Madeira threads from Barnyarns online.

I did find that the threads seem to shred a lot causing the machine/ needle to jam which was very noisy and quite distressing!

I have tried reducing the number of stitches per minute down to 400 and have used a variety of different needles to see if that was the problem but I can't seem to figure it out.

Having said that, those embroideries that I have managed to complete look wonderful and the rayon threads are good for machine washing. I embroidered a load of terry nappies a year ago and these are washed at 60 degrees and then tumble dried and the embroidery still looks as good as it did when I first did them.

So all in all, I use mostly Madeira because I spent so much on buying them - and would be tempted to try a different brand when the time comes to replace finished spools.

As an aside, my mum uses Robison Anton threads with her Janome MC300E and is always really pleased with the results.

Hope this helps...

Happy Sewing

Alison
          Hi Alison do you use the red or blue tip needles?

Comment

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
            Hi Alison do you use the red or blue tip needles?
            To begin with I used the blue tip needles that came with the machine...after that I just used standard needles but they were listed as being embroidery needles...but I must admit they are not Janome branded.
            http://www.pollyanna-patchwork.co.uk

12 High Street, Eccleshall, STAFFS, ST21 6BZ Tel: 01785 859360

Comment

Thank you so much for all your replies - lots of food for thought there.
              Doubt my machine is as sophisticated as yours, but it's a good starting point for me as a beginner to machine embroidery
              Thanks again for your help.
              Bren
              www.digby-bears.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X