Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lace maker?

Hi,

Any lace makers? ...and have you ever sold any lace?

Thanks,
    Anne.

I'm a hibernating bobbin lacemaker - haven't touched it for a couple of years and life is just too full of other things at the moment. I will get back to it!

I wouldn't think of trying to sell my lace round here. Generally speaking people won't even consider a piece of lace if it's marked at more than 50p; they have no conception of the amount of time and effort that goes into producing the finished product.

Actually, I did sell a couple of lace edged hankies some years ago, but that was a commission from someone who was prepared to pay for the handiwork, although I still didn't charge anything realistic for the amount of time I spent on them.

Linda

Comment

Yes, you'll certainly never be able to sell it at it's true value when you consider the time involved - that makes it very hard to put a price on it.

I have a potential outlet to a dressmaker and am going to meet up and show some examples of my work. So the question of price will come up - any ideas how to price it? It's going to vary depending on the pattern I guess so should the price be calculated on the time taken?

Any ideas?!

Thanks!
      Anne.

Comment

Haven't done it for years, thanks for the reminder!

I would work out your time per inch and make sure that the dress maker is aware of the skill and work that goes into it. It's certainly a niche market and with the right pairing of businesses could work out well. The price is certainly significanntly more than it would be for shop bought manufactured lace.
        I'd be really interested to find out how you get on.
        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Yes, inch x time taken I think is the best way to go and even then will have to keep the £ per hour down to keep it affordable, even for those who appreciate its worth.

Am meeting in a couple of weeks and wouldn't expect anything to come straight away from that, but I'll let you know how I get on!

Anne.

Comment

As with all crafts, its a case of educating the client as to the intricasies and work involved. When people understand that they'll understand the price and the product and promote it to their clients in the proper way so that they understand it too.
            full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Working...
            X