Batik

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batik

I amlooking to do some batik with primary aged children . I could either work on fabric with dyes or on paper with inks but need a good alternative to hot wax. (health and safetyreasons). Has anyone used anything which gives a similar effect and how good is the final result. Thanks
    www.RedShedCeramics.etsy.com
    www.folksy.com/shops/RedShed
    www.mosaicshape.co.uk

if you're using paper then you could use watercolour resist and the remove it with you're fingers. i dont think you'de get it off fabric though.

Chris

Comment

Hey, I know you posted this a while ago but i just came upon it and thought i would reccommend using flour and water as an alternative to hot wax. You just need to mix flour and water together until it makes a paste, then if you put the mixture in a squeezy bottle it makes for easy application. I have used it with primary children on a sheet of cotton and it works really well.

Comment

Gosh that took me back a bit. When i was at primary we used to use crayons and inks! If you take along a piece of work with batik on they will get the idea.

Comment

batik like activity with kids

You can have kids make a design on paper, and practice it, with crayons (it can be water colored over for lots of fun!), and when they’ve got a good thing going, they can color it on the fabric item you’ve chosen. Iron it in yourself, with a cloth over it. Then after it cools, you can do a vegetable dye bath. You don’t want to use any mordants with kids, IMHO – too risky. It may not turn out to be the most eternal result but it will be lots of fun.

The crayon will remain. It looks neat on Easter eggs – I used to have my kids (now grown) decorate with crayon on fairly warm eggs. The crayon would melt and run if TOO warm. But if not too too warm, it would melt just enough to go on well. Then we’d put the eggs into the PAAS egg dyes and it would be so pretty. They were always fascinated with the process and results.

So maybe use that approach to the fabric designs. You could still try some layering with the crayons and yes on the fabric…but don’t use Crayola crayons that will not come out readily, unless you want it to remain, and then a pooka comes in when you aren’t paying attention, and makes it permanent somehow….

Coloring heavily with black crayon on paper and then doing water color over that is great fun for kids...I actually love doing it, too - with the grandkids, of course...
          Last edited by removed10; 13-04-2009, 03:22 PM.

Comment

batik activity

I mean the pooka comes in when you DON'T want the crayon to remain...and it stays forever. If you want it to remain, it washes right out....Murphy's Law or Pookas...I don't know....

Comment

While the cheapest and easiest option is of course paper and wax crayons, if you want something different you could try silk gutta and silk paints (they work on cotton, too). Some need ironing to set the colours: depends on the age of the kids (and space) whether this would be an option. And the budget, of course.

The advantage of this, I think, is that the resist is a bit more like the effect of wax from a tjantung, especially when squeezed by a child! Your budget would have to stand it though. I've never tried flour and water as a resist - it'd be worth experimenting with though, because it's certainly cost-effective if it works.
              digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
              blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
              hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
              blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

Thanks for reviving this thread (something I don't very often say!!)

I have often thought about doing batik with my children so that they could make their own personalised t-shirt but didnt want to use hot wax. I think I may have a go with the flour and water suggestion in the next school holiday.
                Diane
                Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Working...
                X